Thread: what would happen ?

ATX Mental Case

Default what would happen ?

I want to run a small (very small) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorcycle-In-...3A1%7C294%3A50 from my power supply, what will happen if theres not enough power in the power supply to run the pc and the amp? I have no video cards, no floppy only hard drive and dvd drive and pc running from it, its a Dell GX270 180 watt power supply ? What would happen if its not big enough ? thanks

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

Default Re: what would happen ?

that psu is simple not big enough.

your computer and your amp will emerge in an epic fight for the watts!

but seriously, I guess they will both stop working. Your computer probably needs 75% of those watts to work normally, when you pull away so many watts from it, I think it'll simply stop doing what it is supposed to do.

There is a possibility that they both will work fine, because the amp probably won't take that 180W all the time, and your computer might need less too if it's not at 100% cpu usage. But I don't think it'll be a good idea to power them both with that psu.

furthermore there _might_ be voltage-drops, leading to failure of some of the components... (I'm not a 100% sure about that though)

are you trying to run a sub with that? why not get an ac amp and just tap into the power coming from your wall?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER