Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: left 4 Dead 2 boycott

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default left 4 Dead 2 boycott

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott

For obvious reasons people are upset that they are releasing L4D2, so if you're one of them, join up!

Default Re: left 4 Dead 2 boycott

I like this point that they try to make, "L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic." Isn't that a reason to make it a different game instead of a game pack?

There are also significant changes to the AI director, including real time map layout changes. If they included that in an update, they would have to go back and retrofit that to the old campaigns, which would be way too much work. It was also not part of the original vision for L4D, so it probably wouldn't work as well as it will with the new levels.

So, they have a release date of Nov. 17, which seems way too fast. Well, Valve's team has been growing a lot over the past few years, hiring the whole Portal team, and another company I don't remember right now (although they did fire a whole bunch of people recently for leaking info.) This bloated staff means they can do more faster. That said, when was the last time Valve released a game on its first announced release date? Never?

I have never been disappointed with a Valve game, and considering the Orange box was the best gaming deal ever, I think I'm going to trust that I am getting my money's worth with L4D 2.

They said that the new game is going to be much larger on release than L4D is now with all its updates. That doesn't make sense to have an update larger than the original release, especially considering that it would be an 8Gb downloadable update.

They haven't even mentioned a price. What if it is $20? A standalone expansion for the XBox360 owners who don't want an 8gb update on their machine? I'm fine with $50, but maybe I'm in the minority on that. The fact is that a boycott should be based on principals, not on a single decision we are upset with. Why not boycott all Valve games? Why not petition? Why not stop playing the first L4D until Valve changes their tune? Why? Because Valve has been too good to us in the past, and we like L4D too much to quit now. We just want more for free. If that group were able to get up to 25,000 people, boycott all Valve games, and quit playing L4D today, they might have something Vlave would notice. Even then they would be wrong.

Their only real point is that we haven't fallen in love with the new characters. I am disappointed that I'm not going to see more of my favorite four survivors, but it's a different game completely, and Valve probably made the hard choice to make new characters because of all the new gameplay mechanics, special infected, melee, maps, AI director, etc. I'm sure they would have enjoyed taking the easy road and recycling our friends from the first game, but play testing probably revealed that it wasn't working, and that fans of the original game weren't satisfied with the new direction. Whether that be gameplay or story elements, I don't care. I just know that Valve releases great games, and I'm planning on getting this one.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

You make a lot of good points but many are upset just because they made a lot of promises for L4D that they didn't keep.

Obviously it's business -- nothing more, nothing less, but it's still quite frustrating. I wont be buying L4D2 merely because I got bored with L4D way too fast not to mention them pulling EA tactics and changing things up, ruining the game.

L4D2 does look awesome but not worth another 50 bucks in my opinion which I'm sure it will be. $39.99 at the very least.

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

I have to admit im a little annoyed at valve over l4d 2, seeing as they promised a lot for l4d, and all we got was the, in my opinion, lame survival mode.
    But i have a lot of faith in valve as a company, they have always made fantastic games, and for very resonable (sometimes insanely low) prices.
    I'm hoping they will redeem themselves by offering it at a low price for people who own the original game, or maybe they will end up bundling it with some other stuff like the orange box. Maybe it'll come with HL2 episode 3?
    Who knows, but i trust valve, and i think they will surprise all the people who are angry over it.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Half of the things listed seem to be reasons why L4D 2 is good.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I might get it, it sounds like it'll have more replayability and get rid of a lot of the cheap tactics. I'd be surprised if they got it released by Nov this year, they said L4D was done a year and a half before it was released but they polished it like crazy. I'm sure most people are choked about there being a sequel within a year and some of the stuff they said would be in didn't make it but that happens with lots of games and they get added in with an expansion or sequel.

Also the day night for L4D 2 will be neat instead of only night fights and the changing of levels (which was supposed to be in L4D).

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I never bought the original L4D, and odds are I won't buy the sequel seeing as how I have nobody to play it with and am not too big a fan of online gaming. Cool games though, played the demo.

As to L4D2... hopefully they sell it cheaper than the original or offer both of them together at a reduced price. If my assumptions are correct, both will be similar enough to essentially be the same game with a few changes.

I don't see the point in people complaining over this. To each their own, but come on. Many other game publishers/companies drop a game and never look back, whether to add content or patch it. Valve has continued to give free crap for just about every one of their games, and still patch up old ass games, yet people complain when they decide to sell another retail game/sequel.

Some people hate the LFD/TF2 free content, but would go out of their way and b*tch if it was never offered/they weren't given it. Valve has spoiled their customers and they now expect no new game sequel, and only want free crap piled on to measly $40 they spent a year ago (2 years in the case of TF2).

It is funny how the posted aspirations of the company and devs some how turn into promises too. They post "we want to be able to add this, this, and this, and are going to work it in where we can" and all of a sudden it morphs into this huge promise and players start going "wtf, whr b th4t sh1tz u pomizd balv?" (if you look at the steam forum there are often well articulated arguments, but if they were to put a tl;dr summary, it would be that very statement).

If they want to go LFD2, I say go for it. I would love a bright sunny game too. When the zombies drop the world isn't going to fall into perpetual darkness. . .

This game looked more like a one-hit wonder to me. I just avoid this game like the plague.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    This game looked more like a one-hit wonder to me. I just avoid this game like the plague.
    Yeah. I don't see how it would stay entertaining after about three or so times through each campaign, if even that. Plus they make around $200 per four people that buy it. Talk about a marketing wonder, lol.