Thread: Server Liquid Cooling Stealth Mode

Default Server Liquid Cooling Stealth Mode

What I am looking ot do is to liquid cool my server, as to me it has to be the loudest computer I have ever owned. It is an older socket A, and I have been able to find a waterblock for the cpu albeit the price I am not so happy with. I plan on repurposing an old oil or tranny cooler for the rad which I plan to mount on the inside bottom. The plan is to pull cold air from the bottom through the rad and vent the fans straight out the side with a little bit of ducting. I have two issues yet to be resolved. I need to find a way to stealth the res as this is to my best knowledge a mid 90's desktop, one of the first atx with the atx power supply instead of the hybrids. My options as I see it are a 5 1/4 bay res or possibly a closed system with no res, which would be a pain possibly. The second unresolved issue is that the other half of this case being loud is the psu fan. I reused the psu that came with this case because I didnt need much power. I may be replacing it with a psu that has sata because I plan on putting in a sata card and upgrading the hdd's eventually. Is there a way to temporarily quiet this fan down such as lubing the bearings?
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Default Re: Server Liquid Cooling Stealth Mode

i'm not sure how good you are with your hands, but you can always make your own block. get a 1" copper end cap, solder it to a sheet, or hammered flat coupling. 2"x2"x1/4" copper plate - 6.00 and make your own block.

if you use a rad like that make sure you clean the crap out of .

the Swiftech Micro Res is about the smallest res i've seen. link
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

High pressure, high temperature flush is needed to clean out a rad like that, or get a new one.

The homebuilt waterblock is actually a good approach.. I've seen a socket A cooler that was homebuilt, and testing showed it to be suprisingly efficient.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Don't really have the steady hand to do my own water block and i found one that supports socket A, and as far as the rad goes im really cheap at the moment (two kids + planning and paying for a wedding) i can get a compact oil cooler from vdub for next to nothing. The res was my only stumbling block and i have looked at 5.25 drive bay reservoirs because my two unused bays are behind a door anyway. I really like your guys' input hopefully i get more.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

if you are on that tight of a budget, then skip the res. a Tline works plenty fine, it just takes a bit more time to bleed.

if your mixing metals (copper/aluminum) then you need to use antifreeze to slow down the corrosion.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Another rad option would be a heater core. Most of the older ones are made of copper so you would avoid the mixed metal issue. It would still need a good flush. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field