Thread: More craigslist silliness.

Default More craigslist silliness.

So I was browsing craigslist looking for some ikea stuff when I came across this posting. I emailed her and asked about the headphones and mouse. As it turns out, they are selling the G15 current gen keyboard, the G9 mouse, and the G35 headphones. I asked if they were selling them all for $75 or just the keyboard and stated that for $75 I would come by tonight and get it. I got an email back saying that they were separate and they would be $215 all together. I pointed out that I could get them for . . .

G35 headphones - $77 used on amazon
    G15 keyboard ~ $50 on various sites
    G9 mouse ~ $50 on various sites

. . . and then offered to get the headphones only for $50 or the whole deal for $100. She said the price was $75 for the headphones alone. I sent her a few links showing that I can get them for about that price whenever I want. I then told her my offer still stood and she could get back to me.

Why do people do this? Craigslist is a good way to get rid of your junk or sell your big ticket items. While this isn't junk, it certainly is no deal if I can get it anywhere for that price. I even pointed it out more than once that my price was fair. I don't have $100 in my budget for this nonsense, but am willing to spend when I know I'm getting a deal. This is not a deal, steal, or bargain, so it's not worth my inconvenience or time. Why go to the trouble if I can buy online for the same price and the headphones come to me?

I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be many biters on this one, so maybe by the end of this week I'll be able to report back.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: More craigslist silliness.

It's craigslist. Isn't that answer enough? lol

They were probably just looking to screw some people over and were in no hurry to sell their things. Given enough time, I wouldn't be surprised if they did sell it all above retail price.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Well, it says in the post they are moving and that the desktop is gone already. Looking at msrp at the logitech site they would list it a $330 all together, but since when is msrp been an indicator of value?

I just don't get when people want something for the same that they paid for it. The irony of that statement is that I just sold a $45 lego set on amazon for $90.

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

yeah...I recall once managing to sell a video card (this was a good 15 years ago, long before online selling) for more than I paid for it. I felt a little bad, but the guy was willing to pay and thought he was getting a good deal. How dare I spoil his good feelings? LOL...in general though, I do like to get as much $$ as I possibly can for an item, but I feel better about selling on ebay. I don't always get as much as I want, but I don't set reserves, so if people bid up to a high amount, that's their own fault not mine. And I happily walk off with the cash.
    Still, that craigslist poster should have recognized that what they were selling was used, and so isn't worth as many dollars as a new version, even if it's in nearly new condition. And with that said, yes, they should have bargained. Maybe they will. good luck with that!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

People are weird sometimes. Especially when they don't really have a good feel for the actual value of the thing they're trying to sell.

The best I've been able to get off selling something used was when I sold my (then) 2-year old Radeon X800XT AIW AGP (originally ~$400) on eBay for ~$250. That I only got because it was such a rare thing by then. Still though; $250 for a 2 year old video card is pretty good, imo, and I definitely got more than $150 worth of use out of the thing over those two years. Plus, it let me upgrade to a PCIe MBB and a GeForce 8600GTS at basically 0 cost

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    People are weird sometimes. Especially when they don't really have a good feel for the actual value of the thing they're trying to sell.

The best I've been able to get off selling something used was when I sold my (then) 2-year old Radeon X800XT AIW AGP (originally ~$400) on eBay for ~$250. That I only got because it was such a rare thing by then. Still though; $250 for a 2 year old video card is pretty good, imo, and I definitely got more than $150 worth of use out of the thing over those two years. Plus, it let me upgrade to a PCIe MBB and a GeForce 8600GTS at basically 0 cost
    Jeez, I swear I did exactly the same thing. Selling my X850xt got me my first 8800gts...

My last win was selling 2 brand new in box 7950 x2's for almost double what I paid for them... Turns out the guy HAD to have that exact model for a project he was working on and bought the second one for a spare. He even knew what I paid for them (or close anyway).

I must admit that I have not even been on craig's list in over a year.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...