Thread: Water Cask

ATX Mental Case theshoeshineman's Avatar

Default Water Cask

Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I posted on here but i've got some time on my hands.

I have a new project which is to place a computer inside a cardboard 10L water cask that you get from the supermarket.

The cask dimensions are: (w) 220mm (d) 220mm (h)240mm

Here's the catch. I still want it to work as a water dispencer and to look like a water dispencer no matter what side you look at it from. So the cables will enter from underneith the case.

My plan is to create a box to sit at the back of the water cask which will hold the PC with the following dimensions (w) 215 (d) 110 (h) 235mm.

This should give me enough space for a 5L bag of water at the front of the case. I'm also imagining I'll need at least 50mm clearance at the bottom of the case to hold any video/usb cables etc.

This gives me a final working space of around (w) 215 (d) 110 (h) 185mm to hold all the internals and thats not including the thickness of the plastic.

Is this enough space for a itx setup? (I do not want to go pico)

I'm assuming I'll have to find a itx board with an external power supply?

My wishlist is for it to be as wireless and inconspicuous as possible. Any ideas on what I should use for the internals?
    Visit my website: http://djcassar.com
    Scratch build: The Cube
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

Default Re: Water Cask

Here are my thoughts at the moment:

PSU: picoPSU-150-XT 12V DC-DC and 150w 12v 12.5A Power Adapter ($120aud)
    Motherboard: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GF9300-G-E ITX WiFi ($200aud)
    Hard Drive: 40gig Laptop drive.

Because I have some depth to play with I don't need to mount the psu next to the motherboard.

Also this particular motherboard has built in wifi, but the antenna will have to go accross the other ports which might be annoying particularly for the audio.
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

Are pics possible? I'm having a rough time visualizing this...
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Sorry, I can't believe I can not find any decent 10l water cask pictures on the net ANYWHERE!!! Considering you can buy them at EVERY supermarket in Australia that I know of I couldn't believe I could not google it!!! Well thats a first!

Here is my rough plan for the case:

I don't think actual ITX boards have been mass-produced...but according to Wikipedia, Mini-ITX is 170×170mm, so yeah, you have enough room. Nano and pico ITX are smaller yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by theshoeshineman
    Any ideas on what I should use for the internals?
    That depends on what you want to use it for. I'm assuming you don't want a bunch of fans all over the place, so ventilation will be mediocre at best...I'd suggest hardware that doesn't produce much heat at all.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.