Thread: SMD LED sizes

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default SMD LED sizes

I was wondering if anyone knew what size the SMD LEDs on the OCZ XTC ram cooler were? I have two of these coolers that I am looking to convert to red LEDs but I don't have precise enough tools to tell what size the LEDs are.

Also if anyone knows a good place online to buy SMDs for relatively cheap I would appreciate a link. I've checked the usual spots but haven't found a good price.

Thanks for the help!
    TheMainMan

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: SMD LED sizes

You can get them at Digikey.com fairly cheap. If I had the cooler I could tell you the size.

SMD LEDs are available in four sizes, which are designated 1206, 0805, 0603 and 0402 . 0402 is the smallest, with overall package size of 1.0 mm x 0.5 mm x 0.45 mm (L x W x H). Then 0603 at 1.6 mm x 0.8 mm x 0.6 mm. 0805 are slightly larger, at 2.0 mm x 1.25 mm x 0.8 mm. 1206 are the big brothers of the family, at 3.2mm x 1.5 mm x 1.1 mm.
    http://led.linear1.org/surface-mount-leds/

Thanks for the help Oneslowz28. I'll see if I can find the old LEDs this weekend when I go home to figure out what size they are. I'll try to put them next to a decent ruler and see if I can tell what size they are.
    This is one of the last steps in the very long process that has been the modding of Thor 2.0, my main desktop, so I really appreciate the help. Thanks again!
    TheMainMan

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

no problem. Always glad to help

So I finally got the ruler out and it turns out that they are 805s. I don't know the specs on the ones I pulled off but since there is a resistor soldered into the circuit I figure I'll be okay as long as I don't get anything super bright. Pictures will follow when completed.
    Thanks for the help.

Edit: Just ordered 30 of these as I have two coolers to do and want a few extra in case I mess up.
    TheMainMan