Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cloudy but good (telescope photos of the moon)

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default cloudy but good (telescope photos of the moon)

took these last night fooling around with the lenses

short video just for kicks and giggles

Default Re: cloudy but good (telescope photos of the moon)

That's pretty sweet! I wish I had a camera attachment for my scope. Here's one I took with just the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    That's pretty sweet! I wish I had a camera attachment for my scope. Here's one I took with just the camera.

lol i'm just holding the camera upto the lens

have to use a wide angle lens though, and not a narrow (high zoom) lens.

Camera i use is crap actually, Fuji something something 200$ special at bestbuy

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

That's a beautiful dob! Who makes it?

I need to send my lightbridge's mirror in for a new mirror coating. Stupid neighborhood cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    That's a beautiful dob! Who makes it?

I need to send my lightbridge's mirror in for a new mirror coating. Stupid neighborhood cats.
    Galilean telescopes

http://www.galileosplace.com/Telesco...elescopes.html

1300x160mm MSRP

for 450$ the price Vs quality is pretty damn hard to beat, plus its beautiful just sitting in the living room, every single person that comes over asks about it

it's got a pearl white high gloss finish, and a beautiful (and great functioning) base, it's also easy to take down and separate for transport

Steve's telescope & bowling here in oklahoma city recommended it to me as a full out starter telescope. most Dob's that size are quite expensive. only draw back is it comes with a single barlow and two lenses, but its standard size so i picked up a lens kit for about 75$

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

I was bored and touched up the last photo. Does it look too fake with a too black of sky? I also got rid of some of the noise, sharpened up the moon, and applied a little shading around it to give it a little more depth.

EDIT: And that video is bad ass. What power is that telescope?
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

With telescopes the power is dependent on the focal length to the eyepiece and then the apeture of the eyepiece.

Also that seems like a wonderful scope for a beginner. If you keep an eye on telescopes.com you can catch Meade and other eyepeice kits on sale cheap. Now look into replacing your finder scope with a telrad and some good telrad charts and you will be star hopping for hours. Check out http://cloudynights.com for their forums. I am a member there under the same name as here. Lots of great and helpful people there!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Also that seems like a wonderful scope for a beginner. If you keep an eye on telescopes.com you can catch Meade and other eyepeice kits on sale cheap. Now look into replacing your finder scope with a telrad and some good telrad charts and you will be star hopping for hours. Check out http://cloudynights.com for their forums. I am a member there under the same name as here. Lots of great and helpful people there!
    I actually love that star finder, its not a zoom one, but its a red dot (well more of a target) dimmable and its on the money.. on the money down to the penny.

here i'll take a picture.

lol to bright to see it through the back side, but you get the idea.

just put that center circle on what ever you want to see, and viola its in the telescope every time. must of taken 3 hours to get it centered perfectly. but with the adjustment screws on the side and top... adjusting it was a breeze.

Theres a tropical storm over the area right now, so i'll probably have to wait a couple days to snap off some clear pictures.

that fog and haze was the clouds in front of the moon, when its crystal clear out it takes some amazing photographs.

heres from a year or so ago

[best viewed in 480p]

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    I was bored and touched up the last photo. Does it look too fake with a too black of sky? I also got rid of some of the noise, sharpened up the moon, and applied a little shading around it to give it a little more depth.

EDIT: And that video is bad ass. What power is that telescope?
    the moon is way smoother then that in general, especially when you zoom in close, sort of think of it like a desert. but it does look good with the dark black surround and the shading.

it's a 1600mmx 160mm

or a 63 inch X 6 inch

like the other guy said the power of it depends on the lens you use.

with those photos i used a 24mm (?) wide angle lens, the zoomed in view on the video is with the 24mm lens and the 2X barlow. i've also got a 4.5mm lens that is really...really...really zoomed in, stack the barlow with that and you can see ridiculous objects like nebulas and some faint galaxies.