Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
Ok, I took a look at the simulator and it's doing things correctly. When you have the wire or resistor there, it goes immediately to almost the voltage of the power supply. That's because you're basically just hooking the cap in parallel with the power supply. The resistor will block more voltage than the wire (you know, it being a resistor and all ), so that's why it goes to a lower voltage.

The reason you're maxing out at 8.43V, and why it takes so long for it to get there, is because you set the cap to 3.3mF, not 3.3uF. 3.3mF is massive. Also, 134mH is pretty small. I think the one I'm working with is around 900mH, if my estimates of the number of coil windings is correct....actually, it's topping out at 8.14V now with 3.3uF and 900mH...hmmm IDK, here's the simulator code for my circuit with the small testing cap. IDK why the simulator is capping it there, but I promise it works irl.
<Code clip>
Interesting, I could have sworn at one stage I had it with the wire making it go upto 7v or so. Regardless, the similator is now showing the right values (I didn't know all of your components, and as for the 3300uF capacitor.... whoops ^-^; ) and appears to be semi accurate.

Regardless, I doubt the simulator is showing exactly real world but certainly shows things working (not exactly, but anyway)! And I don't doubt it works in real life!