Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using chainmail for case window!

Water Cooled

Default Re: Using chainmail for case window!

I used a 1/4" mandrel in a power drill to make my springs. I couldn't use aluminum because wouldn't hold up under the beating it was going to get.

Just an FYI... I made my shirt like in your picture and got a ton of ribbing from the guys (and several girls for that matter) at the next SCA fighter's practice. Everyone kept telling me I had the pattern turned 90 degrees. So I checked some historic photos in Stone's Glossary and spent the next week fixing it.

I pretty much beat up my hands making mail and doing armor smithing. I have RMS (repetative motion syndrom) in my right wrist. My hand goes numb if I grip too hard or too long. If I do it again I'll get my rings pre-made from a place like this www.worthco.com they make split rings and jump rings out of stainless steel for fishing tackle.

That is incredible! I would love to see a middle ages case! Go for it!

ATX Mental Case

if you want to purchase rings go to http://www.theringlord.com They're who I'll be purchasing my colored rings from. They've got great prices and a HUGE selection of all chainmail stuff!

I know that my ring patter was done "sideways" it was intentional! I have other shirts that were done "correctly" that shirt was made purely for looks and when you do the pattern as I did it causes the rings to pull tight against each other and provide a nice even look. Whereas doing the ring pattern the other way there are a few minuscule places where you can see through the pattern this one looks like a solid sheet.

Since I don't have any pictures of the process yet one place you can go to see some patterns and tutorials on how it is made go here http://www.mailleartisans.org/ probably the best site around for tutorials... though, I used to know of some 3d tutorial sites, I've not been to them in so long I don't know anymore.
    Visit my site --> Kansas City LAN and Tech Promo Site <--

Asus A8R-MVP
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2.64ghz)
    ATI Saphire Radeon X1600 Pro x2 crossfire
    Corsair Twinx2048-3500LL

Water Cooled

Oh that ringlord webpage is sweet.
    Anodized titanium... hmmmm *drool* I would love to reinforce my cycle jacket with some of that in a dragon scale weave.
    Oh man I need a cold shower.

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

daamnnn nice one dude

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Cevinzol
    Oh that ringlord webpage is sweet.
    Anodized titanium... hmmmm *drool* I would love to reinforce my cycle jacket with some of that in a dragon scale weave.
    Oh man I need a cold shower.
    Dude that would be awesome!!!!!!!! haha then if you DID crash you'd slide down the road leaving a trail of brightly colored sparks (when titanium burns it burns a BRIGHT white light). Anodized titanium would be nice, but for this computer case side I'll need 1.5 lbs and it's $65 a pound in the size I need!!!!!!!!!!

Of course the aluminum I'm getting is still $45 a lb, but aluminum being lighter than titanium I only need about .75 lbs for this project.

Asus A8R-MVP
    Corsair Twinx2048-3500LL

You might consider bracing the chainmail around your fans to bring the noise or movement down.

ATX Mental Case

I also wouldn't want the chainmail getting sucked into a fan... that wouldn't be any fun. For the most part I was thinking of just having the chainmail tight enough that wouldn't be a problem... not to say that it won't be. Bracing it actually came to my mind for another reason though, strength. I'm taking a 23x22" computer side panel and hacking out most of the center of it to be replaced with chainmail... so as it stands this is still an idea, many, many kinks to be worked out! Thanks for the suggestions, any tips or ideas are welcome as I'm still pretty new to the case modification crowd.

Asus A8R-MVP
    Corsair Twinx2048-3500LL