Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman Case Mod

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Wonder Woman Case Mod

Holy moly I'm not usually keen on gloss paint but wow this has changed my opinion, I think that is perfect as can be of a paint job, incredible awesome black mirror.

And the top notch air brush work .

Nice

Congrats on the front page mate .

Thanks everyone!

I am gathering up supplies to get back to modding. Believe it or not, this still needs paint work.

Update soon!
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I hope what you do inside is as impressive as the outside.

I'm still alive, and I'm still working on this. A lot's been going on so it was hard to get focused on this. Plus the longer the paint cured the better.

Hardware is starting to arrive.

I have started some more paint work.... yes, I said more paint work. :shock:

I've changed a few elements of the overall build for various reasons. Some things seemed great in my head until I started visualizing it now that the case is back in my hands.

So here goes...

I picked up a couple WD Black's for cheap on a Newegg shell shocker deal and will be running a RAID setup. I might get a few more of these actually.

I started voiding warranties right away..

I'll be painting the psu shell. It was ok but not good enough. I stripped it clean and applied some primer surfacer. If you don't know what primer surfacer is. it's a super thick high build primer that you can blast on there and it fills imperfections. It's my best friend.

So after looking at the inside of the case I decided it should have a better paint job too. So I had the nerve to drill the rivets out and pull the top off that has been air brushed. That way I don't have any accidents.

Then I hit it with the same primer surfacer after scuffing it up. If you wonder why gray primer instead of black, it's because you can see imperfections easier after wet sanding. So here it is with 2 heavy coats and it looks like I'll be good.

I will be making a custom fit shield out of some perforated aluminum that hides the drive cages. I just think drive cages look ugly. So I will cut a piece and form it to hide the front and curve around to the side. Here is the start of that -

I use some great flat shears to minimize distortion when cutting.

Ahhh but you still get a little distortion here and there ..

But since it's soft aluminum I use a steel roller along the edges to flatten it back out...

And now the bumps are gone!

The more I looked at this front panel it just seemed like I needed to make some paint adjustments. I decided to return most of it to black so it will match the inside of the door when it's opened. So I masked it off really really really good and hit it with some primer.

Now I need a little vote from you guys on whether I should leave this piece chrome, paint it white, paint it black, or paint it blue? The obvious choice to me would be blue. Except, I can't match the paint exactly so it would look odd. To me the chrome doesn't fit but what do you think?

I like the crome... but if it has got to go I would vote for white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

I'd keep it chrome.

maybe add more chrome features to the inside of the chassis to tie it in with the outside lip like fan grilles or liquid cooling components or whatever it maybe. chrome sorta goes with the super hero theme in general. chromolying metal parts is pretty cheap these days, and they can plate plastic chrome as well.

honestly i never even noticed that chrome lip in the pictures in the first place.

you know i've got to say you know what the hell your doing with a container of paint.

oh and a electric sheer would cut that mesh like a bandit w/o those little bends and pinches.

majorbud has one at his job. replaced a part of his rear quarter panel with it. left a edge straight as a knife blade.

Ok so I think I will leave it chrome. A little splash of chrome is always good right?

I'll add a few things to balance it out. I think I'll go with a chrome Zalman cpu cooler too.

I've been bouncing back and forth on all kinds of stuff on this thing.

Paint-

I painted the case all black and it looks good now.

I painted the front nose pieces where they mate together.

I primered the shield for the drive bays. I'll be making some cut outs and stuff but this will get me started. I used this etching primer. Spendy but worth it!

Fans-

I ordered fans with LED's but I need to make some changes to them. For the top of the case it uses 2 140 mm fans so I want them to glow red/white/blue to keep with the color scheme. So I ordered one fan with red LED's and the other with blue LED's then when I put them together I just have to swap out the middle ones for white.

I am also going to paint the fan frames black so I needed to pull them apart.

And after a little soldering...

Red - White - and Blue

The next update will hopefully be putting the case back together if the paint is set well enough.

I hope the inside of my case turns out as well as yours did... I am not looking forward to the sanding. haha! looking great man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

I thought this was done lol, gorgeous mod & looking excellent all round I like the purpose of this mod & the great attention to detail going into it, very nice .