Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: My Summer Project

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default Re: My Summer Project

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    Thanks. I want to get on with some other parts of the game, so I don't want to custom make the art / ui for each resolution, or even aspect ratio, at the moment.
    I hope I didn't sound like I was asking for more features. I honestly wasn't but rather, I understood the way you were coding it to center it. I think this is an awesome project and it's great that you have shared it with us. There is no expectation, from any of us I think, of a date (or even a release should you choose) to see things by. We merely have an excitement for cool things and desire for instant gratification, . A lot of us can also relate to the school/life/health/work situation. Personally, I've been posting a lot in the last couple of days because I have a paper to write that I don't really want to. So I come check out the cool things the rest of you are doing

Anyways, you've been doing great work so far and I look forward to whatever you bring us next.
    TheMainMan

Ya, I didn't read into it that way. I was just continuing the conversation.

I'm afraid to post about it on other forums though. Mostly because of how I might react to other peoples' comments. Judging by the reactions to others' works of art and labor, people will complain about anything. Even a single developer that has to do everything is expected to pump out a product better than AAA studios.

You guys are, and have always been, awesome. Nothing like some of the other forums I've read through. But, I know eventually, if the game gets to the point I'd like it to, I'm going to have to post on these other places to get the word out.

Thanks for all the support. Let me know of anything you guys might like to see make it into the game. Sometimes I'm too close, having to deal with every aspect of the game, to see something that would be sweet.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Phew. Sometimes I re-read my posts and worry that I've come across wrong.

I know what you mean about other forums though. I used to be a member of more than this one and have gradually dropped off other boards because of the number of people who are unable to distinguish between constructive criticism and being an a**. Here, people seem to be pretty good at being helpful and friendly.

As far as features, you seem to have covered most of them that I can think of. I've been really impressed at how detailed the game is so far. If I think of anything I'll let you know though.
    TheMainMan

Thanks. I appreciate it. It's been hard work, but even if I never complete it, it's one heck of a visual aid to my resume.

Trying to finish up this character sheet so I can move on.

I still need a few more 8x8 icons: Energy (Int), Poison Damage, and Magic Resistance. Though I'll have to completely rearrange this as I wanted individual type resistances. Doesn't make too much sense to give the player specific magic damage types, but allow them to avoid specific resistances by bunching it all up as magical.

I also need to find a font that works at low resolutions, and is free for commercial use. The icons will explain what they are in the tooltip box when you hover over them. I was hoping they would be relatively self explanatory.

Code:
    Red Plus: Hit Points
    Blue Sphere: Mana
    Bubbles: Air 
    Green Star: Experience / Experience to next level (Need to find a spot for the character level).

Heart: Vitality ( Affects total hit points )
    Fist: Strength ( Increases melee attack damage )
    Feather: Dexterity ( Increases ranged attack damage )
    Shield: Defense ( Increases physical attack defense )

Fire / Electric / Ice (Water) damage.
    It is difficult to convey information when you only have 8x8 pixels AND want to keep with the same art style of using a black border around everything.
    Edit: I'm seeing now that I flipped the colors. This needs to be entirely reorganized anyway.

Getting some perk icons in. They aren't in their final positions, as I just drew wherever I felt like it at the moment.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Progress.

Major progress.

That's the big thing right now.

I understand some of what you're going through right now.
    Ohh, the joys of programming....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I wish it was the joys of programming. I'm stuck doing this until I finish up these two pieces then I can get back into the lovely joys of programming. It will be worth it in the end. This, while not perfect, is a far nicer UI than what I had.

I had made a post explaining everything, but somehow it disappeared. Oh well.

Changed the character tab layout. There will be four tabs. Main Stats, Weapon Stats, Perks, Story / Quest. Finished up the layout of the Main Stats page.

The Weapon Stats page will have all the damage, magical damage, magical resistances, etc of the currently equipped (focus on hotbar) weapon. It will also draw any bonuses necessary from the equipment that add to damage / resistances. This way, you can see your equipped weapons stats, but also hover over a different weapon and see its information in the tool tip box so you can make a comparison.

The Story tab will have quest items a la Zelda Triforce or Pendants.

Weapon Stats Sheet. After making my eyes bleed from working on these 8x8 icons, I can't wait to get back to the 16x16's.

I might push the middle section up 4 pixels, giving me 8 extra for the tool tip box. Not sure yet.

I am not sure if you posted it before, but what program are you using to make your graphics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER