Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: My Summer Project

Default Re: My Summer Project

I'm thinking if I do try for a kickstart, I won't do it until after I get to the point I make my post on Minecraft / Terraria's Other Games forum. If feedback is strong, I will go for it. Otherwise, I won't.

On another note:

BUGFIX: If you swung a weapon, say pickaxe, but swapped to a different item mid-swing that didn't have a swing animation, the next time you swapped back to the pickaxe it would pick up the swing where it left off. This often led to unintentional block damage. Fixed.

BUGFIX: This one is tied to the above. If you swung a weapon, say pickaxe, but swapped to a different item mid-swing that did have a swing animation, the animation would continue playing but would swap to the new weapon. So you would swing a pickaxe, swap to a sword, and it would be as if the pickaxe changed to the sword mid-swing. Fixed.

ADDITION: Tile damage has been in for a bit but any tile you hit would take damage if was able to do so. If you missed and hit the wrong tile it would take damage and stay damaged until you either destroyed it, quit/save+quit/reload. This was especially frustrating with the above bugs, as you could accidentally damage your home. Now, tile damage resets on the last tile hit if the new tile hit is a different mine-able tile. Essentially, only one tile stays damaged at a time. Whack a new tile, the old tile gets restored.

These fixes, and the last addition, surprisingly give way to chopping down trees as a single tree, and not individual blocks. The damage a tree needs to take before it is felled will be a function based on the hardiness of the wood (how many hitpoints each block has) in relation to the height of the tree. Surpass the damage needed, the tree de-spawns, and the game will spawn a number of wood relative to the tree's height.

Went and renewed ram3-software.com and purchased dreamstateminer.com. Who knows if that will be the final name, but I figured it best to grab it now just in case.

Comcast keeps jacking up the price of television. I think I am going to go in and drop TV. We hardly use it. If I can swap to business class internet with similar / same speeds + netflix streaming for less than what I pay now, then I will do that. Then I can at least start getting a pair of basic websites going. All the free hosting I tried before was horrible. Then, if this gets big I will look into a webhost.

I dropped the TV and switching to business class internet would be cheaper than what I had bundled before, but they are trying to bull me with all these mandatory added fees. Saying I have to rent a modem with them, and that I'd have to pay a $300 installation charge. I don't see why these are necessary and he couldn't give me an answer aside from "policy". It doesn't take a $300 setup and a mandatory modem rental to swap my external ip from dynamic to static.

EDIT: My IP hasn't changed once in five years.

EDIT2: The installation fee is cheaper if I go for a longer contract. I don't see myself moving to a location without Comcast any time soon so I just went for that. It ultimately ends up cheaper than what I was paying, and gets me what I need.

Found a decent set of royalty free sounds. Paid what I could. If this gets big and I end up using a bunch of these sounds I'll probably go back and donate more.

Started programming some sound in. Going to dump all my sound handling to a new class I can simply call, but I've got the basics in for a few things. It now plays a sound when you swing your pickaxe and land that hit on a block.

Ideally, I want to make my own sounds, but this will give a good start, and I can get them programmed in now, and just swap them out later if need be.

Had a blast today. After I finished my college project I started working on the game.

ADDED: Recipe to convert stone blocks into cobblestone.
    ADDED: Recipe to convert wood into ladders.

ADDED: A whole bunch of sounds. They can be swapped out later with a file swap. Jump/Double Jump. Long fall damage. Death. Menu movement. Menu Select / Back. Tab click. Item Tab click. Hitting a tile. All the sounds get triggered at the proper time. A whole ton more to add, but it is definitely a start. I hadn't realized how silent the game was until I started adding these sounds.

I spent twenty minutes exploring my world, digging, laying torches, going through natural caverns. I really should keep chugging along with the code, but the world is calling me back. There isn't anything in it but dirt, coal, stone, caverns, water, and trees, but I keep finding caverns and it makes me want to keep searching. Can't wait until I make some more blocks and put them into the world. Drawing them up is the hard part.

Enough with the text, moar with the pictures!

Reworked the stone, coal. Added copper. Added the base for the ice zone section, as seen above. Still need to make the items for the blocks, and its just a palette shift of the dirt, but I wanted to start on getting the code for these things in.

You now slide on the ice until you hit something, or turn yourself around. I've left conditionals here so I can have it so you slide on the ice unless you have special boots or an accessory on.

What I affectionately call the four corners. I'll go back and give some randomness to the wall algorithm so it isn't just a set of straight lines.

The purple is the base for plaguestone. Texture will change later, but I'm going to keep chugging to get the base for the zones in.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I'd hit break play that.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Chests are almost finished.

The chest block and chest item are in. Placing a chest removes one from your inventory and creates a new inventory for the chest in memory. Destroying a chest spawns a chest item. Chests save and load with the rest of the map, the contents properly stored.

All that is left is to load the correct chest into memory when you right click on the chest, draw its contents to the correct locations, and modify the existing inventory mouse handler to allow for clicking and moving items in the chest.

Should be done with it and have it fully implemented sometime tomorrow.