Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal to get a little fluctuation on the Vcore voltage?

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default Is it normal to get a little fluctuation on the Vcore voltage?

I'm trying to get a little bit higher on the OC and i'm at 1.401v / 3.771Ghz but i get extremely random BSOD and hard resets with no pattern, it'll play BF3 perfectly for 3 hours straight, play another game and exit to the desktop and be fine. other times it'll just BSOD right off the bat.

I've noticed my Vcore fluctuates between 1.395 ~ 1.408v or so despite the fact that i have it manually set to 1.401v in the bios menu. (looking at HWmonitor and CPUZ)

VR's are about 98~101F the bricks are 90~93F and the capacitors aren't even warm to the touch. (using my LCD thermometer to probe the VR's and **** if your wondering how i know the temps lol)

But anyways is this normal to get this sort of flux in the vcore voltage, or is my power supply showing its age? (2005 Enermax 600W Noisetaker II 1.0a E80+S certified)

Default Re: Is it normal to get a little fluctuation on the Vcore voltage?

no help ?

: (

Whats your mobo brand? There should be a setting, but i can't remember the name of it, i think it's v droop? if you tighten that it wont flux.
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    Whats your mobo brand? There should be a setting, but i can't remember the name of it, i think it's v droop? if you tighten that it wont flux.

MSi-7599 (770-C45) think its a AMI bios

Matter o' fact i just flashed the bios to the newest one yesterday : )

i'll poke around, any other "names" that goes by?

I'd be very surprised if the mobo VRM could accurately regulate voltages within <5 mV.

Also bear in mind that the hardware monitor (voltages, fan tachs, and thermal sensors) is not 100% accurate either ... in most cases such functions are handled by a chip which sits somewhere kinda-near-the-processor towards the top of the mobo, sometimes these functions are integrated into the programmable southbridge/SuperIO chip. What this means is that the chip isn't always reporting the voltages and temps which are present around the critical components so much as around its immediate proximity on the mobo.

I wouldn't be especially concerned with such little fluctuations, especially since the margins for measurement error and component tolerance exceed them. You might want to observe if the voltages deviate whenever your HDD spins up/down or some other power-hungry device suddenly changes the load on the mobo power bus or even on the main PSU. A sad truth is that, contrary to what is advertised, and what the user explicitly configures, the BIOS firmware may be programmed to "automatically" adjust processor voltages as the mobo manufacturer sees fit.

Having said all that, you could have a lemon mobo or proc. If the problem is really a problem and it persists or worsens then try these components out in different machines to isolate which is the cause. For all you know you've got a bad capacitor or something.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    I'd be very surprised if the mobo VRM could accurately regulate voltages within <5 mV.

Also bear in mind that the hardware monitor (voltages, fan tachs, and thermal sensors) is not 100% accurate either ... in most cases such functions are handled by a chip which sits somewhere kinda-near-the-processor towards the top of the mobo, sometimes these functions are integrated into the programmable southbridge/SuperIO chip. What this means is that the chip isn't always reporting the voltages and temps which are present around the critical components so much as around its immediate proximity on the mobo.

I wouldn't be especially concerned with such little fluctuations, especially since the margins for measurement error and component tolerance exceed them. You might want to observe if the voltages deviate whenever your HDD spins up/down or some other power-hungry device suddenly changes the load on the mobo power bus or even on the main PSU. A sad truth is that, contrary to what is advertised, and what the user explicitly configures, the BIOS firmware may be programmed to "automatically" adjust processor voltages as the mobo manufacturer sees fit.

Having said all that, you could have a lemon mobo or proc. If the problem is really a problem and it persists or worsens then try these components out in different machines to isolate which is the cause. For all you know you've got a bad capacitor or something.

well i didn't see anything about voltage dropping crap in the bios.

but i did up the voltage to 1.410 and it seems to be doing well, but the next few days will tell me how stable it is i guess.

I think i just drew the short stick in the X4 955 processor bin of random quality chance lottery.

You might have. Both of the 955's i've had my hands on overclocked well above 4.0 without an issue. one got downed to 3.7 because of the mobo making weird noises, but thats it.
    Not dead yet

You might have. Both of the 955's i've had my hands on overclocked well above 4.0 without an issue. one got downed to 3.7 because of the mobo making weird noises, but thats it.
    this is a pretty budget mainboard as well.

I mean it didn't even come with VR cooling sinks and the front side bus seems limited to a hilarious 233mhz or so.

lol. with a 955 don't bother with a fsb overclock. just jack the multi up...
    Not dead yet

lol. with a 955 don't bother with a fsb overclock. just jack the multi up...
    "Faster" FSB = Faster computer don't it?

I want everything overclocked, including the clock.