Thread: Random Reboots when Folding

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Random Reboots when Folding

So my rig in the "My System" keeps randomly rebooting when folding. It has been folding fine for almost 2 months now.

Here is the only Windows Error message I can find:
    Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 10/23/2011 5:55:11 PM
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level: Critical
    Keywords: (2)
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: Rage
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-10-23T16:55:11.370022600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>61012</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Rage</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
    It looks like to me my PSU isn't supplying enough power. Its a Corsair HX750W.

Thoughts?

Shut up and take my money!

Default Re: Random Reboots when Folding

That could very well be, I think at 750 with those two cards you'd be at the very upper limit on your power supply. You could try folding with just one card, maybe that would keep the power consumption down to stable levels?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

your psu should be enough, and since its a corsair, i am surprised if you are having issues. check this out http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
    that should tell you what you need to know. i put in your basic specs, without overclock, plus 4 120 mm fans, 2 sata high rpm drives, 3 dvd rw, a couple x1's and a couple pci standard, 4 usb, and anything else i could possibly think of you fitting in your case on air cooling, and i got 623 min watts, 673 recommended. the only thing i could think of is your voltage on your 12v rail, if anything. =P when all else fails, get a kill-o-watt meter from newegg. haha
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post
    your psu should be enough, and since its a corsair, i am surprised if you are having issues. check this out http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
    that should tell you what you need to know. i put in your basic specs, without overclock, plus 4 120 mm fans, 2 sata high rpm drives, 3 dvd rw, a couple x1's and a couple pci standard, 4 usb, and anything else i could possibly think of you fitting in your case on air cooling, and i got 623 min watts, 673 recommended. the only thing i could think of is your voltage on your 12v rail, if anything. =P when all else fails, get a kill-o-watt meter from newegg. haha

it could be a issue with regulation and not consumption though.

If you set up speed fan you can chart out your voltages. any power supply will have some spikes, but wild variations, or going outside the tolerances can often cause blue screens.

But then again that is quite an amount of gangster s@#t your trying to run off a 750W power supply lol.

bittech.com says the 560ti's consume 285W a piece at load (probably on a good day) so thats a combined 570W ?

and toms hardware says the 2600k uses anywhere from 158W at stock clocks to 238W at 4.6Ghz.

so if your not even overclocked at all your already at 730W peak consumption (theory) before even factoring in hard drives, lights, fans, do-dads, USB devices and crap... push the clock speeds and it looks like it'll munch every last electron that power supply has to give (and that's usually where the irregularities start)

thats just my 2 cents though : P

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I think I'm gonna buy an 850 Corsair and put the 750w in my wife's system since her PSU died.