Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumpster Diving

Default Re: Dumpster Diving

That would make a good little linux server. Clean it up, new fans, new thermal paste, a couple of coats of paint, etc etc.

Does it run?

2 physical, single core CPUS have been going on for years. I have a dual P3 @ home, and I have a Dual P2 Slot1 motherboard for those that dont believe such a thing exists!

You can still get a lot of work done with that rig. I plan on turning my dual CPU into a mod in the future. The P3's rocked back in the day, and I'll have 2 of them stirring up trouble in the near future!

Anodized

OK, here's the deal so far. It is indeed a dual p3, Tech. However, the chips themselves look like they have serious burn damage, and I could not get the system to run. I found this rig in the dumpster, and I'm not gonna go buy two more p3s, thatd be a waste of time and money. So here's what I'm doing:

Note the cheap-ass modifications. Everything in this case was either found in the garbage or was spare parts (fans). Um, also, this case has no sides. Where did they go, one wonders.
    I ordered an 8-port Netgear Network Hub ($50 on newegg). I'm going to mount that into this case, maybe even take the cover off of it, and put those extra heatsinks (the two little ones came from this dumpster mobo and the big one came from my gaming rig cause i got a coolermaster aquagate120) on any large processors. I'm also going to wire a switch and led from the case to the hub, so that the hub doesnt ever have to leave the case. I'll post more pictures when I'm finished! And maybe I'll find a new, whole, case in another dumpster and put it in that so there's no gaping holes!
    blue skies, green grass