Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things I'm looking forwards to

Default Things I'm looking forwards to

So with a bunch of technologies coming around the corner I thought i would chip in with what i'm most excited about (some are really mundane, but still)

1) Display port replacing HDMI/DVI

Reason? Display port's high resolution ability is exciting, especially with the next thing on my list, also, I hope mini display port catches on more than standard, since mini disp makes for a smaller cable, and therefore a smaller port.

2) Higher res TV sets.

Reason? High res tv's aka 2k or 4k resolutions will push the production of high res panels, resulting in cheaper high resolution panels being put into desktops. With hollywood pushing ultra high resolution down the throats of the masses we all benefit.

Things i'm not looking forward to?

Windows 8. IE: Windows vista, revenge of the tablets. The UI that is on there currently is worse than useless for power users on desktops or laptops. I hope microsoft pulls their heads out of their asses and gives the option of a "windows 7" or "classic" start menu. Because there are features of windows 8 that I do like, it's just unlikely that i'll be using it if they keep metro around.

How about you guys.
    Not dead yet

Default Re: Things I'm looking forwards to

+1 on the flat panels. Seems the only displays currently available are 1080p TVs with a DVI port added. Definitely want to see 2560x1600 or better displays on the market at reasonable prices. My Dell 30" needs a couple buddies.

I haven't messed around with Windows 8 yet, but it would be nice to not be locked into one particular theme. Microsoft needs to stop choosing what's best for us and go the route of Linux where the overlying window manager is much more flexible.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Higher resolution at a lower price would be great.

Last I read, albeit a while ago, you didn't have to use the Metro UI on the PC if you didn't want to; it looked just like windows 7.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

That's what I like about Linux. While it has X at the core, the *DEs are just an additional layer.
    And the file manager is separate from the GUI core.

Unlike Windows; if Explorer crashes, you can barely do anything.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I'd like to see 2560x1600 make its way into the 24" monitor market. Still, it wasn't too long ago that Dell's 24" 1920x1200 IPS panels were in the $5-600 range, and now you can get them for about $300.

I'm looking forward to being done with school . . . in two more years after this. But for now I'll just be satisfied for it to be summer again.

I'm looking forward to working this summer and to the addition of another family member (it's a boy!). I'll post pics of his room once it's a little more done.

I'm looking forward to building a youtube channel. It should be pretty fun/funny as long as I write the script well and take the time to film/edit properly.

Not looking forward to:

A complete lack of spending money, which means not buying quite a few things on my list. I think the solution is going to be that instead of buying mostly whatever I want most the time because I have extra money, and then taking my birthday and Christmas money and putting it in savings, I'll have to budget all of my money and carefully choose what I'll buy for me with my birthday and Christmas money. It won't be too bad.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I've been waiting for a long time for OLED monitors to come to fruition. They've actually been around for years, but the transition to the market is painfully slow...

Last edited by TheGreatSatan; 02-22-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

OLED has been painfully slow because it's really hard to print the OLED directly on the glass at a scale, speed, and consistent quality necessary for the consumer market. Also, the blue color has had a history of dropping in quality or dying way before the typical end of life for that type of product.

I agree though, OLED monitors with like . . . no bezel so I can get them really close together, would be really awesome. And an OLED TV would be really sweet too.

What I'm looking forward to:
    Hopefully starting a small online business selling some boards I'm designing. Just need to raise the capital... and sadly, Kickstarter isn't an option to do that because of that pesky US requirement.
    Getting new electronics equipment (needed for the PCB projects I'm doing)
    Getting my file server.
    Finally getting my plane (and I'm ordering another plane next week) and heli in the air... just need to find a place to do it.
    Hopefully doing my final year of uni this year and getting a job.

Not looking forward to:
    Windows 8, this is the first time I'm not looking forward to a Windows release. I may actually skip Windows 8 depending.
    Lack of money for the whole year, living out of home and no job means I'm poor for some time to come. Especially because of the unexpected arrival 2 weeks ago (almost). At least she's cute though. And a kitten before anyone give congrats.... ;P
    Actually finding the time to do stuff properly...
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Congrats....

To having a kitten!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

No real interest in higher res panels (I have 3 1080p 21" panels and I struggle to read on them at times), and displayport, UGH, why?! I'm really quite angry that I have a quad output graphics card and then have to pay a small fortune for adapters... Mini hdmi would be much better.

And I'm interested in Windows 8, a LOT. The Metro UI is optional and only on the tablet version anyway, so that's pretty irrelevant for desktop users. But I love the idea of having a tablet that can do everything a standard computer can, with appropriate interfaces for both uses. Admittedly, I say this as a .NET developer, but seriously, the possibilities are really amazing.

Oh, and when IE10 hits Windows 8 on tablets, there'll be no flash support. Because, really, I can't wait for flash to die.