Thread: Decent Case To Mod

Default Decent Case To Mod

The title says it.

What would be a decent, structurally sound case to base a mod off of? I work in a hole in the wall computer repair store and on occasion, once in a while, we get an order for a custom built computer. Of the dozen or so builds I have built, all of them have had cases, whether it was Foxconn or Cooler Master or Antec or the such, which were manufactured out of flimsy sheet metal. It seems as though, if I wanted something a bit more heavier duty, I'd have to sacrifice something from a name brand like a HP, Dell, AOpen or something along those lines.

So my question to everyone who's had more modding experience than I, who makes a good, sound case, that isn't particularly made of thin sheet metal?
    Jon

I hate HP. Yet here I am, using a HP G60 Series notebook with an HP desktop sitting at my home desk.... But the best part is that it was all free. Now slowly switching to Dell stuff!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Decent Case To Mod

HAF-X is one of the sturdiest cases I have ever seen and used.

Custom Title Honors

pretty much every body makes a good sturdy case to start a mod with. you just have to shell out some dough, you won't get much that is good to start with if you are shopping in the $39.95 special isle.

I've noticed that with the cheaper ones, you get the integrity you pay for. Just trying to find something that isn't too pricy that I can cut into without cringing while retaining strength and support. But I can't tell by just looking at the pictures. That's why I'm asking you fine folks.
    Jon

I hate HP. Yet here I am, using a HP G60 Series notebook with an HP desktop sitting at my home desk.... But the best part is that it was all free. Now slowly switching to Dell stuff!

I am currently liking many of the cases from NZXT right now. Looking to start up a mod based around the Switch 810. The Phantom is also extremely nice and has some really good lines.

If you have a Fry's Electronics near you, it's a good place to go paw at some cases before selecting one. They have a fairly good selection there from the low end junkers on up to the cream of the crop. Since most people have taken the time to beat on them, or let their kids treat them like a soccer ball, it's a good place to see how well the case holds up to use. Gimmicks like a plastic bulldozer blade ripped right off. Door hinge broke. Probably not a sturdy design.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Thanks TLHarrell, the NZXT cases look really nice!
    Jon

I'm a big fan of Silverstone's lineup of cases and a lot of the Cooler Master cases.

Okay, it looks like I'm gonna go with a NZXT Gamma. I like the looks of the front panel and it should tie into my case design, which I've yet to finalize and draw out.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Jon