Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cd-Rom HELP!

Fresh Paint

Default Cd-Rom HELP!

Ok, I've been trying to install an OS on my computer for afew weeks now, For Some Reason My CD-ROM drive won't process to the motherboard and whatnot, So this is what happens, I turn on the pc, insert the Windows XP Home Disk, Close the Drive, and it makes the reading sounds, but nothing happens on the screen, Now if i use floppys to boot it to, i can do all 6 floppys but when it asks me to insert the disk, and when i do, it just doesnt read the disk, but it makes the noises and ect. Now I have tryed switching the IDE cables, I Switched out my other PC drive in the new PC and that didnt work, and i've messed with the little Master, Slave, and CS clips on the back of it, and still nothing works, My Computer teacher said i may need to install the Driver, How would i do that? Could i do it from a floppy? Also i have a SATA hard drive and doesnt connect with an IDE cable, could that be an issue?

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: Cd-Rom HELP!

Check the jumpers on the drive.

The CD-drive and whatever else are on the same IDE channel (Whatever is attached to the same cable) should have different settings.

If a CD and HDD are on the same channel, set the jumper on the HDD to "Master" and the CD to "Slave".

That should fix the problem. If there is nothing else on the channel, you can safely take the jumper off of the drive.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Fresh Paint

Okay, i do not have the CD and HDD on the same IDE Channel, The HDD is on a Sata cable, I only have the CD on its IDE, and i have the CD set to master, and the jumper is set to MA, and are you saying i can take the jumper off completely? theres another jumper setting calles CS, should i place it there?, im only asking that because my HP computers CDs jumper is on CS

D'Oh

hmm... if u have separate hdd and cd cables there shouldn't be any problems (on PATA, both should be master for best performance.. more disks should be paired with similar devices.. not a cd with a hdd.. that limits transfer rates, but should still work if properly configured)..
    2 things u should check:

1. is the cd bootable? do you get any errors? it may be scratched..

2. if you have a sata hdd, then you may need to insert a 3rd party diskette with the drivers when windows setup loads.. if it gets that far... tell us exactly what screens appear.. does it boot, show the POST and then black? or it stays stuck when checking for the cd-disk?

I installed win xp pro sp2 yesterday on a pc, and it refused to work with a particular cd (i waited about 1 minute after it said press any key to boot from cd.. then a nice error screen with: registers and garbled data.. ).. so i used another and it went flawless... conclusion: bad cd .. they just don't make 'em like they used to..

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Fresh Paint

Yes the cd is bootable, i do get this "Warning CMOS" thing that i competely dont understand..., and i get the POST screen and than black, I can use Floppy boot disks until it gets to the part where it asks me to insert cd. I've tryed 4 Windows XP Pro CDS

Water Cooled

if the CD is the only thing on the IDE cable then its NOT a master drive (no slave).
    The BIOS may be waiting for the slave to post.
    CS=cable select. This is for cables capable of asigning slave/naster. You can try it but it might not work.
    Try removing the jumper entirely from the CD-rom.

do u have the ide cable in the right port on the motherboard
    there shoud be 1 for hdd's and 1 for cd drives

Dude...totally!

it doesnt matter which one you put them into, theres just a primary channel and secondary. i usually put hdd onto primary, but it really shouldnt screw it up if you dont, just so long as you put them in the right direction

Fresh Paint

I Dont have a HDD in any IDE slot, My HDD is connected to a SATA Connection

Anodized

If you go into the BIOS when you boot, does the BIOS show your CD drive?

Also is it connected to the primary end of the IDE able or the secondry?