Thread: Thin desktop case

Default Thin desktop case

Ehm, I'm really new to modification or building of computer cases so I've got some questions.

So the idea is to build a thin desktop case, using a flexATX power supply due to the smaller size (80x60x150 mm). This will probably be too small for the stock cpu heatsink (or what it's called in english). I've looked into some that have a lower profile but, I need to know how much space it needs to be between the top of the heatsink and the roof of the case.

Well, I'd appreciate an answer and I'll get back here with other questions.

Default Re: Thin desktop case

Depending on the cooler, you won't need any room between the heatsink and the top/side panel of the case. As long as you have good air flow over the cooler itself the clearance will not matter.

Make sure your video card isn't too tall, however. It's one of the things that can mess a small form factor build up. Look for a low-profile, or low-profile ready video card if you find that vertical height will be an issue for the GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Depending on the cooler, you won't need any room between the heatsink and the top/side panel of the case. As long as you have good air flow over the cooler itself the clearance will not matter.

Make sure your video card isn't too tall, however. It's one of the things that can mess a small form factor build up. Look for a low-profile, or low-profile ready video card if you find that vertical height will be an issue for the GPU.
    I'll probably buy a cooler called "scythe kozuti" (the website say that it's 42mm over the motherboard which will probably leave me with 5-10 mm to spare). It have the fan mounted as this picture shows:

I will use a cpu with integrated graphics so I won't need to worry about the videocard taking to much space. I won't need the best graphics as I intend to use the computer to browse the web and write homework and such.

Some kind of sketchup to show my thoughts this far and to show approximately how high the cooler is.