Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: creative troubles

Life is like an analogy...

Default Re: creative troubles

hey, you guys are in luck, im done!!! and if i do say so myself, i have thought up one slick looking case. ill get right to it.

so first, the colours. anything that is blue will be tinted blue acrylic with some super bright whites behind it, or if i cant find any blue acrylic, it will be clear acrylic with blue lighting. anything that is grey will be aluminum. the materials are subject to change though. if i can get my hands on some copper, ill throw that in too, and ill probably throw some styrene in there too. ill figure the materials out as i go....

and the numbers:

1. case air exhaust shroud

2. power button

3. water cooling air intake

4. air entry to water-wall (that whole side is going to house a large radiator)

5. a modded top loading optical drive of some sort (as luck would have it, i think my dvd rom just packed it in, so i can practice modding it first)

6. water cooling hot water input

7. water cooling cold water output

8. case air intake (the left hand wall) and air transfer (the air goes into that large circle thing, down, and then up out of the floor of the case)

9. a 5.25" bay, a floppy bay, and peripherals

10. water cooling air exhaust port

11. the watercooling intake housing (rear view)

so if you can gather from these pictures, its definitely going to be clean and organized. ive got case air and water cooling air separated, and (logically) routed to minimize turbulence (hopefully).

the case air goes in the left hand wall, down to the bottom, then out a set of vents, up though the case, and out the rear of the top. it will be pushed by the largest fans i can fit in there (modded fans of course, i dont want too much noise, and i dont want the square housing they come in). theres going to be a large network of air filters and chemical dessicants in the left hand wall, and that is why im using such a large area just for the intake. it will reduce resistance.

as for the water cooling air supply, it goes in the front vents, into the right hand wall, does its stuff in the wall, and then out the back of that right hand wall. and again, it will be pushed by big modded fans. there will be air filters for the air intake here too, but no dessicants, because moisture wont matter to me if its in the radiator area. if anything, a little condensation (if any) will evapourate and help cool.

now, you may be looking at numbers 6 and 7 (the input and output to the radiator) and wondering why there are six holes in the top one and only one hole on the bottom. the answer is a stroke of genius in my opinion. this is going to be a 6-loop cooling system. there will be a dedicated loop for the CPU, one for the GPU, one for the RAM, one for the chipset, one for the other internals (hard drives and anything else i add), and one lone redundant cooling loop that cycles directly through the radiator again to further cool (i could also use this as a spare if i ever add another piece of hardware that needs good cooling). so each device sends its hot water to the radiator, and once the water has cooled, it comes out in one lone tube at the bottom, heading for the pump. this brings up another question... how am i going to pump all this water?

the pump answer is another stroke of genius. there will be one large motor that powers an acrylic version of a straight-six motor. there will be one cylinder for each loop, and that will allow for a dependable flow and pressure for each loop. yes, this means the water will travel in pulses, but i may make it a two-way design where as water is pushed out one end, it also enters the other end... we'll see, it may be hard to do. if i cant make a two way pump, ill just make the cylinders large.

at this point, i havent been able to make up a 3D design of the water pump, or a schematic for how ill run the cooling pipes. ill be working on that over the next week. i cant spend a lot of time on it right now because not only do i have these damn projects, i have two midterms this week, and one next week.

so anyways.... comments? questions? suggestions? criticism? anything? i realize this is very ambitious... but i need to make up for my zanzibar failure... thats my only defense for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

right, heres my plan for the pump that i was talking about.

so, the numbers thing again:

1. the cylinder block, one cylinder per loop in the cooling system

2. the manifold so to speak, where the water will go in and out

3. the reservoir

4. outputs on the manifold, water goes out through them

5. inputs on manifold, water goes in

6. outputs on reservoir, water goes out them, and to the inputs on the manifold

7. main input to the reservoir, straight from radiator

i didnt really feel like drawing up the actual pistons or crankshaft that will go along with this thing... you can get the idea if you know what the internals of an engine look like.

so i think what ill do is have a one way valve on each input.output on hte manifold so the water doesnt get all backed up. simple enough if i can find some... if i cant ill have to make some out of something flexible. i bet i can find some though.

a big question for this is how am i going to get this thing water tight. honestly, i dont know right now. im running through a lot of ideas for it. one thing i could do is put a silicone ring around the pistons, so if forms a mushy and flexible seal inside the cylinder, and that may be the simplest. there are a couple others, but im not going to get into them. im very tired right now... did a presentation in school today, and i pwned the pants off a bio midterm, and no sleep last night.

im going to leave it at this for now. maybe if anyone has an idea to get the pump water tight without too much fancy footwork... that would help a lot. ill wait a while to see if anyone says anything, and maybe ill revise some of the designs over the weekend... i want to make sure everything jives before i start. so if you dont have anything to say... pay attention anyways, i may have a new case/pump design in the future. ill at least add some more detail.

im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

nice i had this idea a few years a go, you dont need nothing for sealing it, you just have to run oil through the sistem, dont get me wrong, i mean through the crankshaft, the pistons will seal them selfs, you know, the oil gets between the cilinder rings, for sealing the manifold you should use a simple manifold sealing thingy. But there is one problem, how the f#&% are you gonna crank it up, you gonna need a big thing.
    BTW: what engine will you use

LOUD AND PROUD !

oh, haha, i wont use a real engine, im going to make one out of acrylic, so the cylinders will probably be about 2 inches in diameter. ill just power it off a 12 volt motor... i can probably find one somewhere.

hopefully the oil might work the same way no matter what material. i like that idea, i was just pondering it before you mentioned it. it would allow a design change to simplify even further, and make a sort of hybrid 2 stroke based design with the valves in the piston itself.

but it may change things now that you know its not a real engine.

im going to keep thinking about it. im not done for the night yet. im just trying to idle a bit.

and make a sort of hybrid 2 stroke based design with the valves in the piston itself.
    what do you mean valves in the piston make a sketch
    glad you like my oily idea

LOUD AND PROUD !

this is what im thinking about, i only did one cylinder because all six will be identical.

numbers again:

1. the top of the cylinder, with the output

2. this is pointing to the piston

3. these are the valves in the piston

4. this is a "conrod" that probably wont be hinged in the normal way, i think i have an idea to help minimize leaking

5. the input hole

so what happens in this design is the water/oil will go in through the input at the bottom. when the piston comes down, the water goes up through the two valves, and into the other side of the cylinder. when the piston goes up, the two valves close, and the water is forced up and out the output.

this particular design can be easily modified to be a one stroke as well. you just need an input and output on each side of the piston, and presto.

honestly, im still not completely impressed with what i have so far. i still get the feeling that leaks will happen. more thinking to do... going good so far though.

looking forward to see how you wil actually do it in the end
    I like the idea of this pump...
    only thing I'm concerned about is (like you said) the 'flow' won't be constant...
    nevertheless, great idea! keep it up

this is what im thinking about, i only did one cylinder because all six will be identical.

numbers again:

1. the top of the cylinder, with the output

2. this is pointing to the piston

3. these are the valves in the piston

4. this is a "conrod" that probably wont be hinged in the normal way, i think i have an idea to help minimize leaking

5. the input hole

so what happens in this design is the water/oil will go in through the input at the bottom. when the piston comes down, the water goes up through the two valves, and into the other side of the cylinder. when the piston goes up, the two valves close, and the water is forced up and out the output.

this particular design can be easily modified to be a one stroke as well. you just need an input and output on each side of the piston, and presto.

honestly, im still not completely impressed with what i have so far. i still get the feeling that leaks will happen. more thinking to do... going good so far though.
    well now i get it but i dont agree, you see, in that configuration you will use (corect me if i'm wrong) 4 valves, 2 on the piston and 2 on the body (block)
    the most easy way in my mind is to use 2 one way valves on the manifold(you do know how it worcks), this way you dont need to dril the cilinder, less holes less problems, and i think that you should try to reproduce a car engine, you take a plex tube on one end glue a round bit of plex, dril the plex tube from side to side to make room for youre push rod bolt, make the bolt(plex), make the push rod(plex), for the crank shaft... well it 12 AM in here so.... you get my point :p
    ooooww and there is no problem with the flow as long as you got more then one cilinder, 2 for example will work great, one is sucking the other is pushing
    if you need something just say so, you just hapened to get in my line of knowledge

LOUD AND PROUD !

well now i get it but i dont agree
    you know what, you're right. that two stroke idea doesnt make any damn sense. looking at it now... its a more primitive design, but it doesnt mean its any easier to make. screw that crap.

so im back to my first pump idea. i dont like how bulky it looks though. im going to refine it over the weekend, see if i can meld things together to cut the size down. i mean, keeping to the scale in the model, if i want any sort of acceptable flow rate, that pump is going to be at least a foot long, half a foot high, and 3 inches wide. i dont know if i can spare that space. ive already got ideas though. im finally getting my creativity back. just one midterm left, and hell week is over... two projects and two exams done this week alone, but i did kick some serious ass.

you just hapened to get in my line of knowledge
    a fellow motor guy? i did some motor courses a few years ago. i was the only one who actually knew wtf was going on. i got 100% and i was always the fastest to tear those babies down and get them back together and running. i even managed to fix 60 year old chainsaw. do you design them or just work on them? i particularly like the design part.... in grade 10 i designed a new type of rotary engine, but i dont know if it would work.

well i dont design, but when you wanna built a Remote controle toy with 4 cilinder boxer aprox 90BHP.... yeea you could say i worck with them, i lust love engins i have a truck differential on my desk what can i say

ouuuu and about the design i see you got some skils, if you want 6 cilinders, put 3 side by side ... like this:

the 2 round things are the two pulleys where you could put a belt drive
    i this setup you get half the size
    sorry for my sketchup skilz, or lack of them

LOUD AND PROUD !