Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ASPHIAX - VENATOR Class Republic Star Destroyer

Default ASPHIAX - VENATOR Class Republic Star Destroyer

Hello everyone,

Here he is again with a new build!

*Mumbo Jumbo *

ANYWAY >>>

As you may know I am a bit of a SCIFI fan. So my next build is going to be another SCIFI build. After the USS EURISKO and the IMPERIAL AT-AT its time for another Star Wars build.

And one I have been dreaming of for SOOOO long but now finally have developed the skillset to actually start building it !

ASPHIAX - VENATOR Class Republic Star Destroyer !

You are probably wondering, how the hell is he going to fit a liquid coooled high spec pc in there ??!!??
    Well that's the beauty of these concept builds, i dont fully know yet !
    Offcourse I have made some designs and done a ton of research on fiberoptic lighting, weathering and aluminum builds but for the finish it will come down to improvisation and working with the curveballs it will most definately throw me !

For the purists amongst us, I will try to keep to the original design of the VENATOR as mush as possible but there will be a couple of compromnises made to allow the hardware to fit in.

What do I want to do ...
    Its gonna be big. Over 5 feet long , almost 2,5 feet wide and 1,5 feet high. The topside will be complete modellled and the bottomside will be the hardware side. More on this as i get there. Liquidcooled Mini-ITX with CPU, NB, Mosfets and Nvidia 670GTX all with waterblocks, Laing pump with reservoir. 2 x 240 rad with 8 x 120 slim fans or 6 x 92mm fans for intake and 4 x 120 fans for push pull (depending on the final design discision i make) and finally a good PSU and 2 x SSD or 1 x SSD and 2x HDD.

*More Mumbo Jumbo*

Here are some of the design sketches I made a couple of weeks ago when on vacation !

And now ... On to the build !!!
    I have done some work already, here are the updates on that !

Sit Vis Vobiscum !

Default Re: ASPHIAX - VENATOR Class Republic Star Destroyer

Ok, lets start by building a simple frame to see if it all will fit !
    I always do this phase of a build. Slam together a couple of pieces of cheap mdf, saw some blocks of styrofoam (the size of the rads, psu, mobo and stuff) and move them around. You will be amazed at the configurations you can come up with that way.

Then took the big step! Ordered a couple of aluminum 2 mm sheets that were delivered pre-bent!

Sawing and filing, sawing and filing, sawing and ....

At a certain I had to stop grinding the ALU as the petting zoo behind my house came complaining about the noise. I lie awake cause of that damn new donkey with its ... well whatever donkeys do and I have to stop during the day cause I make to much noise ... GRRRRR !!!!

Oh well, its starting to take shape now. Now time to start thinking on the room for the side trays.

Also managed to score a couple of kilometer of old fiber optic cable from a datacenter project at my office. If i were to get the fiber optic cabling out I might be able to use that for the lighting setup I have planned. Will save a couple of hundred euro I think !

Well that was it for this weekend !
    Laters !

Here is another weekend update !!

Started work on the bulkheads !

I have 3 bulkheads planned cause the 2 mm aluplating should be strong enough to hold all the hardware but I am leaving room to place more if I need to!

Quickly mapped out the location of the fans, mobo window and psu intake. This is the bottom side now facing up. The intention is to place a mirror underneath the model as a base showing the bottomside hardware.

My fathersday present came early this year! Last week I got this beautifull aluminum bending table from my daughter

Put it directly to work !

Also started on the back flaps. Everything will be covered with 1 mm styrene sheeting for the panelling and detailling

Some nice lines already visible !

And that was it for this week (well last week actually, lol)
    Laters !

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

And I thought Mr. Owen was overkill.... >_>
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

This is looking really good already. I can't wait for more.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    And I thought Mr. Owen was overkill.... >_>
    WOW, Do I feel welcome here ... The very first post ... Well DONE !!!
    I think you have just proved why forums are loosing their appeal to new and old modders and are changing to the likes of facebook. I mean really, is this your first thought when I post all of my hard work on this forum?
    If so, please dont post anymore ... You really make me feel to stop telling you guys about what I like to build.

Here is another weekend update !
    Had a stagnight so couldnt do much but still a small update!

Started on the commando tower. even though this looks like a small and easy job, it actually was a lot of work getting the right angles and dimensions.

This makes my blood run a little faster !

The engines need to be reworked offcourse. I want to do this according to spec but i had to place a couple of tubes to see the overal design

The next step is converting the mdf bulkheads to aluminum and making the fan assembly for the bottomside of the ship. I will be going for the 6 x 92 mm fans that will be visible through the mirror, On top of that will be the 2 x 240 rads and 4 x 120 mm slim fans. The warm air can escape through a mesh on the top of the ship.

Laters !

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHIAX View Post
    I think you have just proved why forums are loosing their appeal to new and old modders and are changing to the likes of facebook. I mean really, is this your first thought when I post all of my hard work on this forum?
    If so, please dont post anymore ... You really make me feel to stop telling you guys about what I like to build.
    I'm pretty sure he was giving you a generous compliment by comparing you to Bill Owen, who is known for doing some fairly high end computer mods. If I'm interpreting it correctly, he is saying that your mod is way better than the stuff Bill Owen does. I would have to agree.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHIAX View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. I meant it as a compliment.

I just didn't get my thoughts down completely. I was in a hurry at the time.

Seriously though, I'm always excited to see your work.

What I meant by "overkill" was the amount of design put into it.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was giving you a generous compliment by comparing you to Bill Owen, who is known for doing some fairly high end computer mods. If I'm interpreting it correctly, he is saying that your mod is way better than the stuff Bill Owen does. I would have to agree.
    Thanks! I think Bill Owen is a class in himself. I wished I could spend 60 hours a week on my builds. I think I have around 4 hours actual build time and another 2 hours planning to get the most out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. I meant it as a compliment.

I just didn't get my thoughts down completely. I was in a hurry at the time.

Seriously though, I'm always excited to see your work.

What I meant by "overkill" was the amount of design put into it.
    Ok, maybe it was lost in translation then. I find it hard sometimes to put your words in proper perspective as they can be interpreted one way or the other.