Thread: HP bought VoodooPC

Water Cooled

Default HP bought VoodooPC

Not sure if this is a big thing or not.
    According to Tom's Hardware it looks like VoodooPC has gone the way of Alienware.

Looks like Corporate American is trying to buy their way into a subculture. I just have this image of a bunch of HP suits showing up at a LAN party and trying to fit in.

Seems kind of niche market to me. After all, by the time you've gotten to the point where you can afford bleeding-edge-tech, don't you have the knowledge (or at least desire) to build/tweak it yourself? Where's the fun if you didn't DIY?

Default Re: HP bought VoodooPC

Quote Originally Posted by Cevinzol
    Not sure if this is a big thing or not.
    According to Tom's Hardware it looks like VoodooPC has gone the way of Alienware.

Looks like Corporate American is trying to buy their way into a subculture. I just have this image of a bunch of HP suits showing up at a LAN party and trying to fit in.

Seems kind of niche market to me. After all, by the time you've gotten to the point where you can afford bleeding-edge-tech, don't you have the knowledge (or at least desire) to build/tweak it yourself? Where's the fun if you didn't DIY?

Kind of funny. I expect this to happen a lot in the near future. HP can leverage thier spending power to get the parts cheaper and make a bigger profit on each box. The box I built for a customer in SoCal was in direct response to a boring machine that HP sent them. They liked the performance of the system but hated the bland look so they contacted us to see what we could build them.

Default Re: HP bought VoodooPC

Quote Originally Posted by Cevinzol
    Not always. There are some computer things that I don't like to do. I mod and build and get all the hardware to look and perform well, but I am not very good (yet) with software tweaks. I get frustrated quickly. So I wouldn't mind putting together a custom system from alienware (or the like) just so I would know that I would have minimal problems when I got it.