Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound and HDD

Default Sound and HDD

I have two questions.

1. Has anyone had any experience with a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1? I would like to know if it good for gaming. I listen to lots of music and play FPS games quiet often. I am planning on getting a SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 ProGamer Edition also.

2. I have a Hard drive from my old computer that I want to use. If I were to plug it into my seconday IDE would it be able to see the drive without any problems.
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F

Default Re: Sound and HDD

1. I have a SB X-fi fatality which is close and it has been a bit of a hassle here and there. At one point my comp wouldn't even boot with the card in the PCI slot and I never figured out what exactly was wrong because it seems to be working now in a new motherboard. I went from the fatality back to the on-board sound (which had coaxial and optical connections) and to be honest I think it sounded just as good. I don't know if it is worth the investment. The biggest of all problems in my eyes is Creative's tech support, they don't back their goods well and I have had one creative product after another just die.
    As for the hard drive, shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you have your jumpers set correctly. Remember that the connection at the end of the ribbon is secondary, and the one mid-way is primary then set the jumpers on the hard drives. And some HDD's have a separate setting for Master and Master with slave so just read up on the drive. Otherwise it should work fine.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Remember that the connection at the end of the ribbon is secondary, and the one mid-way is primary
    Could someone verify that this is accurate? I thought it was the other way around, which is probbably why I cant get my IDE's working... EVER

Well, nowdays i'm confident building computers from scratch, but never got this bit right :S (I learnt all my skillz by watching and asking friends, so its not a very good foundation of knowlege )

Overclocked

righty, the stuff about the ribbon cable. generally speaking the bit on the end is secondary and the middle bit is primary, however there are also jumper settings on the hdd to consider (which are different for just about every different manufacturer) the 3 different settings are always the same. These are cable select, primary and slave.

i would advise against cable select (i can never seem to get this to work properly) and head straight into setting one drive primary (ensuring it's on the correct connection on the ribbon cable) and the other slave. this resolves any conflicts your cmos might have.

the second phase is to make sure the settings on your cmos are correct. set them up to auto detect your drives. if this doesn't work, you'll have to manually put in the cylinders n such on the cmos settings. these can be found written on top of the drive. if they're not then contact the manufacturer. save and exit and cmos should have detected your drive.

now the next stage. if windows has not already made a partition (generally it doesn't) then you will need to set it up.

click start -> control panel -> administrative tools - > computer management

then select disk management. your second drive should show up here. right click your second drive and create a partition and assign it a drive letter. then format your new partition and you're ready to go!

hope that was a help
    sorry about the sig size ppl!
    ==================================
    AMD x2 64 5000+ windsor
    asus crosshair
    asus x1950xtx
    2gb OCZ platinum
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    1. I have a SB X-fi fatality which is close and it has been a bit of a hassle here and there. At one point my comp wouldn't even boot with the card in the PCI slot and I never figured out what exactly was wrong because it seems to be working now in a new motherboard. I went from the fatality back to the on-board sound (which had coaxial and optical connections) and to be honest I think it sounded just as good.
    Were you using a 5.1 headset, some people said you won't notice much of a difference beweent on board sound and a sound card with 2.1. Any ways, thanks for the help with guys.
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F

Well it depends on the cable whether there is a master or slave connector. Most of the newer cables are setup for cable select and MUST be plugged in properly no matter what the jumper settings or the drive will not be recognized. Usually the cables that matter are marked. It has been my experience that if it is not marked it should be fine to plug either drive into either connector so long as you have the jumpers set to master and slave. Sometimes the cables are marked with different colored connectors. And yes on those cables there is also the end that MUST be plugged into the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by PauL View Post
    Were you using a 5.1 headset, some people said you won't notice much of a difference beweent on board sound and a sound card with 2.1. Any ways, thanks for the help with guys.
    Nope, this was with THX logitech 5.1 system. They sounded great with both onboard and SB, go figure.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Razors Edge

I too have a SB X-fi Fat1lity. I have had no problems with it. Alot of problems are due to power problems. The best part is that it gives you Sourround Sound on headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Razors Edge View Post
    I too have a SB X-fi Fat1lity. I have had no problems with it. Alot of problems are due to power problems. The best part is that it gives you Sourround Sound on headphones
    To be fair, I never did isolate the problem in the SB vs some other origin so the problems I had may have been unrelated. I have never tried the headphones thing, I'll have to check that out. One thing that I failed to mention earlier that is a benefit to owning a SB is that you have way more options for audio adjustment and features galore that just aren't there with on-board. So may be worth it if you like to tweak.

Okay well I am a noob about hard drives so I have a couple more questions. What is a particion?

Is there anyway I can move my OS onto the drive without reinstalling and have the comp boot from that drive?