Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New PC Built, no power to CD drives

Fear

Default Re: New PC Built, no power to CD drives

What kind of drive are you looking for? I have alot of DVD and CDrewritable drives around here I can test and give ya if you pay shipping.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Fear View Post
    What kind of drive are you looking for? I have alot of DVD and CDrewritable drives around here I can test and give ya if you pay shipping.
    I just bought a simple 30$ DVD drive to play with.

For the previous poster, are you saying I need to have the IDE cables plugged into the DVD drive in order for it to eject?

Because I do have a "test PSU" that is to say, a PSU with the 3rd and 4th wires shorted out so that the PSU will turn on and off. I've used it to test my watercooling loop and other devices several times.

I cannot get either the slim DVD drives, or the one I just bought to power on either installed into my system, or just plugged into my test PSU.
    Project: Savage (in progress)
    Lian-Li PC-70 | Intel Core2Duo E6600 | Swiftech Storm w/ MCP655 Pump | P5W DH Deluxe | 2GB Corsair DDR2-800 | X1900XTX 256MB w/ Maze4 Waterblock | Audigy 4 | WD Caviar 300GB HD | WD Raptor 36GB HD | 2xslot-load DVD+RW slim drives

Overclocked

no, if you have the test PSU and the cd drive ain't broken, that should work. IDE doesn't need to be plugged in

sounds like they're both broken if they don't work with the test PSU. or somehow they need more wattage/voltage/whatever than the PSU can supply with no load. in which case they're broken anyways, as far as i'm concerned

sounds like you need to start working on RMA stuff and find another brand

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by ajmilton View Post
    no, if you have the test PSU and the cd drive ain't broken, that should work. IDE doesn't need to be plugged in

sounds like they're both broken if they don't work with the test PSU. or somehow they need more wattage/voltage/whatever than the PSU can supply with no load. in which case they're broken anyways, as far as i'm concerned

sounds like you need to start working on RMA stuff and find another brand
    I doubt this is the problem, since I just bought the DVD drive new yesterday. I'm going to plug the new DVD drive into my current (old) PSU and see what happens when I get home today. Also I can check connections with the multimeter.

My guess, that makse sense, is that for some reason the drives aren't getting enough power in my current system, and also with the test PSU.
    Lian-Li PC-70 | Intel Core2Duo E6600 | Swiftech Storm w/ MCP655 Pump | P5W DH Deluxe | 2GB Corsair DDR2-800 | X1900XTX 256MB w/ Maze4 Waterblock | Audigy 4 | WD Caviar 300GB HD | WD Raptor 36GB HD | 2xslot-load DVD+RW slim drives

ATX Mental Case

CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER

So my molex coming from the PSU are fine. I tested them all with a multimeter. So for the heck of it I plugged the regular new DVD drive in. Works fine with just the PSU plugged into it. Which it wasn't doing before, how odd. Opens, closes, no problem.

So then I plug it into my rig, and power it up. Nothing, no power. So while the PC is still on, I pull out the IDE cable, suddenly the DVD player is on.

So basically I'm not getting power to the DVD cable when the IDE cable is plugged in, but I DO get power with just the PSU plugged into it.

tinfoil-underwear

From here:::
    http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...l/support.html

Support for other OEM drives is available for US customers. Send email to panasonic@bigbytecorp.com with the following information: Drive Model Number
    Name/location of the dealer/reseller where the drive was procured
    Month/year when the drive was procured
    Operating System
    Description of the problem
    Maybe this helps:::
    http://panasonic.co.jp/psec/support/...9573drvxp.html

ATX Mental Case

I'll try it out, but I know for sure it's not a driver problem, since I have no drivers and no operating system even installed on this computer yet, hahah.

Overclocked

you said that these were slim drives? like from a notebook?

if so do you have the adapter for the back of the drive to turn it into ide and a 4 pin power connection.

mini-itx has these adapters and im sorry if you arent using them and tried wiring up your own cable, your screwed. you probably just fried the drives. (happy thoughts)

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    you said that these were slim drives? like from a notebook?

if so do you have the adapter for the back of the drive to turn it into ide and a 4 pin power connection.

mini-itx has these adapters and im sorry if you arent using them and tried wiring up your own cable, your screwed. you probably just fried the drives. (happy thoughts)
    Yes, but I'm having this problem with the slim drives, AND a new DVD drive i bought when I had these problems

ATX Mental Case

Contacted ASUS, described the problem, and he didn't even ask me any questions, he just said, "yeah, that's definitely a motherboard problem, go ahead and fill out and RMA form and we'll take care of it"

So...more delays. But at least it gives me time to work on my case paint-job. Now that it's Christmas time, I'm not expecting a fast turnaround for this mobo =/