Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need your opinions - possible mod

Default Need your opinions - possible mod

As some of you know, I served in the US Marine Corps for over 5 years. I want to mod a case I currently have with a Marine Corps theme. Here's some sketches. Basically, a simple paintjob, etched custom windows and a few other things I don't have sketchup items for. Not sure what to do with the inside of the case tho. The feet might have red LED's. Maybe amber lighting (CCFL) inside. I would definitely wire the power and HDD lights to the windows. I lost the drive bay covers to my 3.5 external.. might etch my Sergeant chevrons in plex and put that in there. Thoughts, ideas?

Water Cooled

Default Re: Need your opinions - possible mod

nice theme It reminds me of the dress blue uniform. You need a white belt and cap
    Could you get ahold of a metal version of the Eagle, globe, anchor (EGA) emblem? That could look really sweet on the front of the machine.

You need a place for a saber too. Maybe you could put a handle on the top that's a scabbard and have a removable, scaled down saber in it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a few gold emblems. Those will be incorporated somehow. Just didn't have sketchup items for them. As far as the sword goes, I'll have to look around. I have 2 real ones, but would never cut them up, good idea tho. I could probably incorporate my medals and shooting badges in the case too. Still kicking around ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    You spelled the slogan wrong..

(kidding)

Well you KNOW i'm all for it..

The only thing I would add is "November 25th, 1775 - (current date)"

hoo-rah

-Jeremy
    Thanks bro. I also thought about putting some of the conflicts Marines have been involved in on the right side of the case. Spanish American War, WWI WWII, Viet Nam, Iwo Jima.. Maybe ditch the USMC, and put the POW MIA logo? My dad has an airbrush I could use. The "hard" part would be making a stencil. BUT, my bro in law has a plotter, and if I buy the vinyl, I'm sure he'll hook it up for me.
    *cough* Nov 10 1775...

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Iwo Jima was one of the fights in WWII, if I am not mistaken.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Omega, that's right.. Actually, the flag raising on Mt Suribachi was Feb 23 1945, but that was far from the end of the battle of Iwo Jima. The battle of Midway is widely considered the turning point of WWII. History is actually much more interesting after school. I've read up on quite a bit. Partly because I had to, partly because something peaked my interest about it.

Here's another history tid bit. During WWI at the battle of Belleau Wood outside of Paris France. The Germans gave us our nickname devil dog. They were quoted as saying the Marines fought like fierce Teuful Heunden. Roughly translated, it means Devil Dog. And, the term leatherneck referres to times when we wore leather collars around our necks to 1. keep our heads up, and 2. for protection from enemy swords and other sharp blades.

There is so much more that could go into this case if I had the time, money, and painting skills.

This may be a stupid question, but what is the significance of Nov. 10th 1775?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but what is the significance of Nov. 10th 1775?
    That is when Continental Congress authorized the formation of 2 Batallions of Marines, and is considered to be the birthday of the Marine Corps. Marines, past and present celebrate it every year no matter where they are.

http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Hi...elebration.htm

Being in Philly, you should check out the historical site where Tun Tavern once stood.. That is where the first recruiting efforts were and is considered the birthplace of the Marine Corps. Yes, we were founded in a bar, and we stand true to those roots.

Ah, thanks for the info! I was guessing that it was the beginning of the corps., but didn't know anything about it. That is a great tip about the Tun Tavern, I'll make sure to check it out! Thanks!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

This might sound odd, but you might want to check out the POW MIA bike they made on American Chopper. link They did some pretty interesting things with the theme, I especially like the POW/MIA cut out they did. Basically, they cut out the design, put mesh behind it. And did some accent painting. I always liked how that turned out.

All in all though, I think you've got a pretty good idea going here. Keep it up, anxious to see the results.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::