Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Certifications

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Default Certifications

Everyone here knows all about computers, from upgrading to ground-up building one. Does anyone here have any kind of certifications? I'm A+ Certified.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Default Re: Certifications

Not yet, still in school, but I hope to get some in the near future.
    Announcing: Project ******* (Soon)
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

Nada, I wish I had some experience or schooling under my belt lately though.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

When I took the A+ test, they asked about NT4, 2000, 95/98, 3.1 and even DOS. AT and ATX motherboards, how do the connectors go in on the AT boards, 8086 processors, etc. It goes back so damn far. Luckily, most of the stuff is general. How to customize folders in the different OS's, DOS commands do what, name 'em, network topologies, etc. I think I'd do better now. I took it in March and I didn't know a lot then. My scores now would probably be over 600. BTW, you need 505/515 to pass OS/Hardware parts of the exam. 80 questions, 90 minutes.

If anyone is interested, I have a word document, study guide I made for the A+ test. If anyone would like the study guide, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Most of my certifications have nothing to do with _most_ of what I do today. How's this for a certificate: I am certified to operate a 20 ton overhead crane...(needed this to move some data acquisition carts around the long beach airport...) Or this one: I am certified to calibrate a geophysical plotter to within .0018"...( got this certification while working for AMOCO oil to be able to repair the Plotters). I also have several "certifications" I got in the Navy, but they don't really count for real world applications. Electronic Warfare anyone?

I would be interested in your study sheet Mitternacht...

Working on: LPI certification, RHCE and might go for my A+.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I currently hold a Net+ and MCP. I'm hoping to continue with the MCSE track in 2007. I also need to knock out that damn CCNA test again.

A+, MCDST, WGNA Wideband Engineer. I've also studied for net+, ethical hacker and ccna, but haven't taken them. A+ is easy memorization and teaches a lot of the basic functions of a PC.
    I also have a couple of rinky dink certs for cable termination. Nothing big, just proves I do it well.

Certs will get you in the door, but don't mean you are able to do the job or have any real idea what you're doing. They're a good thing to have with an associates or college degree.

Net+ recently redesigned their tests, I suggest taking them within the next 2 years if you haven't because the information will be current and viable. Be prepared for encryption methods for macs. It was on the beta test I took last year.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

The Certs I want aren't computer based, but yeah, I want them. At least an ASE cert.

I'll probably pursue A+ Just in case, however.

(btw -- I want to be an auto mechanic)

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Anodized

What is "A+" cert and how does one go about getting it?
    I don't know much about computers or electronics, but I can save lives.
    Cake or death?
    Cake please.
    Well we are all outta cake!
    So my choice is "or death?"
    -Eddie Izzard

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docturtle View Post
    What is "A+" cert and how does one go about getting it?
    I don't know much about computers or electronics, but I can save lives.
    The A+ Certification is, to the extent of my knowledge, a basic computer certification, saying you're adept at fixing computers.

It's also usually a requirement if you wish to get a job fixing computers, however places like Best Buy don't require it (so they're all a bunch of ****wits).

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"