Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: USMC case

Default Re: USMC case

I experimented with a mouse mod last night. Commando and I think alike. I PM'd him about maybe doing a mouse for me, and he suggested trying this same thing. I had a spare mouse, some black paint, and some clear coat. Then, I took a round foil sticker (http://www.uspatriotstore.com/images..._smRoundSM.gif) and cut out the Eagle Globe and Anchor. This isn't going to be easy to get right. You can still see a lot of the red that I wasn't able to get to. Also, given the fact that the mouse is rounded, it was a bitch to get smooth. It's still not perfect, you can see one of the creases in S. America. I'm gonna have to put this under a magnifying glass to get it right. I guess it's not too bad for a first run though.

That mouse looks great! Perfect for you theme too. I wonder if you printed a scanned version out on some transparent decal paper and applied it with heat to fit snug, might be easier than working out the wrinkles. But either way I love the way it looks!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Mouse v2.0.. I figured out how to get the bubbles out! I heated the sticker just a little and then pressed it out. I just put a coat of clear down, and I'll update again after the 2nd or 3rd coat is dry. I don't want to put too many down because this is just a test piece. When I do the final piece, I'll probably need 4 coats of clear at least so I can build up the edges and sand everything smooth.

Ok, I figured out the mouse. Gonna take my regular mouse apart tonight and hook up the paint. It's not going to be easy though. It'll probably take me a couple of days, but it's gonna be sweet!

edit: I forgot to take pictures of the test piece before I destroyed it. Pics of the final product in a couple of days.

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Oh yeah,

One more suggestion about something I learned the hard way.

Most enamel clear coats are finiky when it come to coats. What I mean is, make sure you read the time between coats directions on the spray can.

I've had clear coats that looked and felt completely dry and then the next coat wrinkled horribly as soon as it hit the surface.

Thanks Commando. This stuff will take additional coats after about 30 minutes. There's gonna be 2 base coats of flat black then wet sand, 2 or 3 coats of red then wet sand, and at least 4 coats of clear wet sanding after about the 2nd or 3rd coat. FYI, I'm using enamel.

More rat work..

Disassembled

Sanding the surface smooth

base coat, flat black

after 2 (really thin) coats of color

Wet sanded and put a 3rd coat of color

There a few areas on the buttons that you can see will obviously have to be worked out, but man, this thing came out smoooooooth!

Tomorrow I'll wet sand, lay the sticker, and start laying clear.

Oh way to go. Now all the honeys that hang out here are gonna know your married.

By the way, the mouse looks wickkeedd.

I'm lazy, I don't don't touch the color coats with sanding. Because also I know I'm gonna lay artwork down that you can't sand. Putting the sticker down on a smooth coat is gonna pay big though.

Also, I think it's a little creepy seeing your hand that close.

Looks awesome. The mouse, not your hand.

So here we go.. paint is done, and I have 3 coats of clear down. I wet sanded before the 1st coat of clear. I'm thinking another coat of clear (or 2) wouldn't hurt the body because of the sticker under it. I think I'll be safe on the buttons. How long do you all think I should give this to cure before using it? The pictures really don't do this justice. The mouse is smooth as glass. Thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcome.

Here's some pics:

Holy cow. That came out awesome. Great work. +rep

The clear coats should be fine by now. Are you gonna polish it?

If so, you can sand with 1500 lightly or even 2000. Then use 3M rubbing compound to polish it out like a pair of boots.

I can't wait to see it back together.