Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vista Not A OSX Ripoff!

Default Re: Vista Not A OSX Ripoff!

Quote Originally Posted by Durrthock View Post
    wow areo in vista inst even that cool. I just looked it up its really not worth a $600 gfx card for it.
    One of the first things I did was turn Aero off. It takes up wayyyyyy too much system resources.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Ive seen screenshots and it looked like it might get confusing if you have lots of windows open with transparency on.

Vista still looks much better than XP though... and i when i was browsing around on my dads install i was happy to see that they actually added some different color options other than "windows blue", silver and of all things that wierd green color.

Edit: Even though i consider OS X to be pretty good looking... i think it lacks customizablilty... You have a choice between two themes. Unless of coarse you want to install third party programs.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

I view the Mac vs PC debate purely from a modder's and computer enthusiast's perspective. PCs have put creative and technical power into the hands of everyday folks. The ability to pick parts off of a shelf and assemble a computer in less than two hours is something that Apple does not want you to have. Honestly, I can care less about an operating system. What I do care about is creative freedom.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    I view the Mac vs PC debate purely from a modder's and computer enthusiast's perspective. PCs have put creative and technical power into the hands of everyday folks. The ability to pick parts off of a shelf and assemble a computer in less than two hours is something that Apple does not want you to have. Honestly, I can care less about an operating system. What I do care about is creative freedom.
    Well said Crimson,
    That's define exactly my state of mind. I use both platform, Mac at work and PC at home. Can do almost everything on both platforms, but I will never (exept if things change a lot) get a Mac at home. That said, Apple want not only to build the computers, but the OS is less costumisabe.

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Quote Originally Posted by slytherock View Post
    Well said Crimson,
    That's define exactly my state of mind. I use both platform, Mac at work and PC at home. Can do almost everything on both platforms, but I will never (exept if things change a lot) get a Mac at home. That said, Apple want not only to build the computers, but the OS is less costumisabe.
    I also agree with Crimson. I have used many OS's in the last 3 decades (jeez, never thought about how long I've been doing electronics...) and I find without exception that the OS is just another tool to get the computer to do what you want. (this goes for cell phones too). UNIX is great for the enterprise and for situations that you need a LARGE system image. Linux is great for web servers and simple desktop setup's. Windows is a great productivity tool and (IMNSHO) the best platform to play games on (what I use my windows machine for the most). OSX is great for a productivity machine but not for playing games (mainly because of the selection), it is also great for graphics editing and sound recording etc. (although the sound editing products are probably shifting towards windows more every day).

slytherock; Since OSX is based off of FreeBSD there are a lot more cusomizable options than you would imagine. The trick is getting access to them since Apples' belief is that users do not want to be confused by too many options so they limit what you see. (BTW my neighbor is the lead manager for OSX and the co-founder of FreeBsd) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Hubbard

He has a really good story of the time he was invited to Redmond to meet Bill Gates about coming on board to head up the next iteration of windows. Got wined and dined for a week...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    slytherock; Since OSX is based off of FreeBSD there are a lot more cusomizable options than you would imagine. The trick is getting access to them since Apples' belief is that users do not want to be confused by too many options so they limit what you see. (BTW my neighbor is the lead manager for OSX and the co-founder of FreeBsd) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Hubbard
    I know, but you have to be UNIX geek to execute most of them. Anyway, that's not the point, I'm more Hardware/mod oriented, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    I actually agree with you on this one... Even though i enjoy using OS X... there are some things about it that i may not like but when it comes down to it... there is almost nothing i can do about it.

Hardware wise... a mac isn't a bad machine you just have no control over what you get.

Also ... i don't see what it is that makes mac's so great for Media editing... what software can you get for mac that you cant get for PC.

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    I actually agree with you on this one... Even though i enjoy using OS X... there are some things about it that i may not like but when it comes down to it... there is almost nothing i can do about it.

Hardware wise... a mac isn't a bad machine you just have no control over what you get.

Also ... i don't see what it is that makes mac's so great for Media editing... what software can you get for mac that you cant get for PC.
    Final cut, but personnaly, I hate it, AVID rules!!!

I guess what it is that bothers me is that everything is so automated that i feel like im losing control. Its like you just drop something in to a window (say iPhoto for instance) and the program does everything for you down to the organization of the files.

Now for the average person this might not be a problem... but i like to organize stuff myself. I like to know just were on my hard drive that picture of my girlfriend went to. The soccer mom down the street who just wants to show off her kids game winning shot to all of her friends might not care how the pictures are organized, or how everything under the hood of that program works, but i do. I like to go through my files manually and if anyone here has ever tried to do that with the way iPhoto works... its a major pain in the rear.

Dont get me wrong... its a decent, simple program for basic photo viewing, and the files are organized by the date they are taken, but its not practical if you want to go through them manually.

In summary. Macs would in my opinion be great for the average home user who just wants a simple easy to use system, but if you want control, or like to do things in a different way you will run in to difficulty (ha thats great... if you "think different" from the way apple thinks that you should think you might have trouble)

ATX Mental Case

Apples latest advertising scheme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_m59ETRz2I