Thread: Switch in water cooling unit

Fresh Paint

Exclamation Switch in water cooling unit

Hi all a little help needed. I am building a whole system from scratch and need help for a quick fix. I want to put a switch in the front off the case to turn the water pump on. Can I just cut the cable a connect it up or do I need to do something else. Please note I will be doing a pump relay switch when I get paid but this is just for a test.

Thx for any help Ronnie.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Switch in water cooling unit

What is the reason as to why you want to do this? To me, It sounds like a bad idea and I'll tell you why.

Most kits will turn on with your computer. Why? Well can you imagine accidentally forgetting to turn it on? Or accidentally bumping the switch off? Or any circumstance where the pump isn't on because of a "on and off" feature?

As quoted from Mr. Mackey of South Park Elementary School...

"M'kay, that would be bad".

Don't make me sing you a Chef song.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Fresh Paint

Yep, I know for that reason it is but it is a pump that does not come on automatically so would need to switch on and off anyway, plus the way my system will be set for the moment its only for a testing period, so it will be on a bench not by my desk. So would I be able to put a temporary switch just for this test period. Thx Again.

Austral Alien

I don't get why the pump wouldn't come on automatically when you switch on the PC. Are you not hooking it up to the computer's power supply?

If it's only to test, why would you put a switch in the PC at all if you are only using it on your bench?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Fresh Paint

The pump plugs straight into the wall ? and Im placing the pump inside but I'll wait for the pump relay. Just wanted to know if I could put a switch in.

Austral Alien

Well you could put a switch in, but be sure you know what you are doing if you are playing around with a mains powered pump. Mains power can kill you if you do it wrong.

It still seems unusual that a cooling pump would be mains powered and not 12V and hooked up to the computer PSU.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Fresh Paint

The pump is an Ehiem pump which is for ponds and water features, these where used before the ones what came with a pump relay built in. Do you know how and what sort of switch I should use if at all (as I didnt want to fry myself lol). Thx for any help.

Austral Alien

Sorry, but without knowing where you are because of the voltages you use (it's 240V here in Australia, which is what I know enough about to keep me out of trouble), the type of plug it uses (2 or 3 wire) I'd hesitate to give any advice.
    If you are in the US with 110V, I know basically nothing of your set up.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Fresh Paint

Like you im on 240v in uk with 2/3 wires.

There are a lot of 120v / 240v pumps out there. 12v DC pumps are a new thing.

Look for something like a wall-mount light switch. And be careful.
    mellojoe

The Rig with Images
    AMD Thunderbird 1.4GHz on an Abit KT7A: [1507]
    168-Pin PC133 SDRAM: [896MB]
    Radeon 9500-Pro: [128MB]
    Logitec z560 4.1 THX: [400W]
    Lite-On DVD: [16X]
    Antec TrueBlue: [480W]
    ...to name a few