Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One 8800GTX or two 8800GTS?

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: One 8800GTX or two 8800GTS?

congrats on your choice and good luck with this thing, hope it works out for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by andymushu View Post
    two gtx's would be pretty much the ultimate computer in terms of gaming. keep in mind though the fact that the computer industry's technology changes practically by the month. depending on how much money you would be getting in the future, you may want to think about waiting for a better card. that being said, 2 gtx's would last you a decent amount of time while providing you with some outstanding performance. the way i see it you have to decide between ultimate performance now but danger of obsoletion (is that a word?) in the future, or almost top performance with the ability to upgrade later. it is really just your personal preference. as for the physics question you posed, i have not heard anything about this, so i can't help you there.

Might as well not buy a new rig at all since every month your current rig will become obsolete. You can't let that stop you, I had a rig with a 6800 in it for years with a single core processor and it served me Godly for those few years.

If you get a GTX now I doubt for one second you'll have to upgrade anytime soon. I'll bet you'll have that setup for atleast 1-2 years before actually upgrading to a new motherboard/card/setup.

Then again I can't predict the future.
    Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard
    Buffalo Firestix 4gb DDR2 800
    Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
    2x eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX @ SLI
    WD Raptor 150gb 10,000 RPM Hard Drive

Resident Alcoholic

^^^^^
    precisely!!

Besides, I love building computers so every time something goes obselete it's great as I get to replace it with new stuff!
    It's just cool to have something to work on other than schoolwork, and it's good also as it helps you keep track of the market and the current technology so that if you have to give advice you can give good advice based on experience.

Thanks for all your help people,
    H

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
    Might as well not buy a new rig at all since every month your current rig will become obsolete. You can't let that stop you, I had a rig with a 6800 in it for years with a single core processor and it served me Godly for those few years.
    exactly. if not now, when?

oh.. and i still have a 6800 ultra and a single core cpu, and its still serving me great. When i see past the need to have the "best of the best" and see what gain ill really get, i save a lot of money and stay more content.

But thats probably cause i have to, since im gettin married in a month, have a mortgage and way to many other bills to pay first. Other than a couple fps, (or multitasking, which i dont do anyway) a better gpu, and dual core cpu serve me nothing anything.

Now, i just save up for more frivolous things like my new viewsonic 37"LCD tv. Makes Guitar hero 2 more enjoyable.

Resident Alcoholic

hee hee yeah big tvs are always fun!

I ran into a problem (well, I knew already that it would be a problem, but I didn't predict that it would take me so long to fix)

Basicly, the 8800GTX is too long for my case, and I can't find my hacksaw, and my dremel sucks balls.

SO

I've got to wait til my mum wakes up (we just got in from a 12 hour journey from the states) before I can go to the store and pick up a new hacksaw + some small files.

H