Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AMD Quad Core?

Default Re: AMD Quad Core?

think you would to get around the bottleneck.. do you think that a single core is still the best for games? i guess that dual core are getting better then a single on a core. lol it seemed like yesterday when i had a computer working on a p2 cpu xD

si-skyline

Hello again all. Its good to have to have time to be on here again .

2, 4, 8, ..., 256, 512 are the powers of 2,
    2^1, 2^2, 2^3, ... 2^8, 2^9 respectively. I'm not sure off hand why those increments are used specifically but I doubt it makes much of a difference. Other numbers are also used, like 384 and 768. I guess since bytes have 256 possible values (0-255) each, it is convenient to have a location in ram for every value of the address bytes. I believe they use 4 bytes to specify a memory address usually (that allows for up to 4 gb of ram). Servers would have to use more if they have more ram than that.

I'm really curious to see how the Barcelona stacks up against the the core 2 architecture and its manifestations. For those of you that are more technically inclined, this article was a fun read.

Edit: btw, adding another byte (five total) pushes the ram limit to a whole terabyte which is probably what they were talking about for M$'s vista's ram limit update. So even if it doesn't make sense to people to have such a massive jump (4 gb to 1 tb) that is just the way the math works.
    “Cynicism is a bunch of people who aren't as talented as other people, knocking them because they make them feel even more untalented.”
    -Ewan McGregor

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I hear the Quad cores run real HOT, like P4 EE kinda HOT. Anyone know?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I hear the Quad cores run real HOT, like P4 EE kinda HOT. Anyone know?
    i have heard that they're supposed to run cooler as they use less voltage....

Computers count in two's. On / Off, You could then conclude that any number divisable by 2 can be used(even numbers). Thats why you are seeing weird "non-power of 2" numbers springing up.

You cant add another byte to memory because a byte is a switch and has to be paired with another byte. One byte to let info in and one to send it on its way. 6 bytes might be the wiser choice.

There might be one exception to this but i am unclear how it works. ECC ram has an extra byte (which i believe works internally in the ram) which checks the ram for errors. Maybe Airbozo can elaborate on ECC server ram.

That being said, i invision tripple channel DIMM's in the future. 3 pairs of 2 equals 6 and should be possible.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Ah so much math!! its a pain working with computer math.. i can do it but still dont like the look of it or discussing it.

and yeah. the dual cores run cooler then some single cores and run far cooler then if you had two single cores, alot of power is shared betweent the two cores in a single case.