Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dell server

Default Re: dell server

in the options with dell, its sometimes labeled as
    "Load Defaults"
    "Load Turbo Settings"
    "Reset BIOS"

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

ATX Mental Case

"Load Defaults"
    "Load Turbo Settings"
    "Reset BIOS"
    im pretty sure none of these are in there. could i just take out the CMOS battery and put it back in? would that reset it?

You can try taking out the battery for 5-10 minutes, and unplug the power also. This can sometimes take longer, and I've seen it not work also.

Also, be careful when removing/replacing the battery.. breaking the retainer really sucks.

Resetting the system/bios defaults may not be necessary... look for a "boot order" option, or "first boot device". Alternately, you can try pressing f12 on startup.. just keep hitting it over and over during startup, and on most computers/servers, it will bring up a boot menu which will let you choose the boot device.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

ATX Mental Case

i can get to the boot order easy enough. i guess i will try booting with ubuntu in the drive (the only os i have on hand right now).

Quote Originally Posted by andymushu View Post
    alright, thanks for the awesome advice guys. i will get back to you as soon as i have a chance to test it out.

edit: i looked in the setup, and either there is no factory reset button, or I am too blind to see it. is there another way to reset it to factory settings?
    On Dell's it should be the page that lets you save and exit or not save and exit. It should be an option on that page.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

ATX Mental Case

there is no save and exist page. at the bottom it says alt b to reboot, esc to exit, and a couple other things i can't remember. i will look again though.

one way to be sure it will reset the bios, Dissconnect from the power source, then remove your batt for CMOS, short out the batt connectors on the motherboard with tweasers for example, then attempt to turn your system on (With no power connected)
    Now leave for 5min, the put it all back together, Shorting it and attempting to turn on, draws all power left in the system killing the CMOS untill you next boot.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

ATX Mental Case

thanks for the suggestion, but it was unneeded. i have successfully installed ubuntu 7.04 feisty on the server and i have it set up as storage using samba on my network. thanks for all your suggestions guys.