Thread: Cutting out a window with a router.

Default Cutting out a window with a router.

My dremel is busted =\
    But, I do have a plunge router and I was wondering what type of bit I should use to cut a window out of
    the aluminum panel?

I know it can be done but since I never tried it and I like my fingers I thought I'd ask for suggestions and some advice on how not to hurt myself and damage the panel.

Default Re: Cutting out a window with a router.

you will need a carbide straigh edge bit. -the smaller the diameter the better. you will also want to make some type of template for the router to follow. trying to do it free hand will make it alot more difficult and the template will give you straight lines and smooth curves. just cut it from 1/4" plywood clamp it to the metal. you will need a bit with a ball bearing on the shank end of the bit though. Good luck. I've used a router a thousand times, but only on wood.

make sure to keep your speed set right. I would suggest faster speed, but go really slow.
    how many hp is your router?
    and Id agree with Renderman on the type of bit, and the bearing on the bottom. those kinds of bits are called flush trim bits...guess why its that name.
    just be careful with the bearing. going through even 3/4" ply a bit to fast, the screw holding the bearing on will go flying off with the heat, completely killing the bit, and possibly your work. not to mention these bits are pretty expensive.

if you need any help with any of your setup, id be happy to guide you as much as I can, I use a router on an almost daily basis, so can probably help you.

just so your aware, routers are not meant to go through metal. when you look at the full name of a router, it says "wood router" its for a good reason.
    as long as you go nice and slow, and keep your speed set, and wear proper safey gear, you should be ok. but just keep in mind its not really meant for this.

if you already have all of your accessories for your dremel, it very may be cheaper(and safer, not to mention wont risk damaging your router) considering the cost of router bits, especially good quality ones.

The router is a 2hp porter-cable 7529 plunge router.

I've used it quite a bit but never on aluminum. Would it be safer to rout with a solid carbide spiral bit while using a brass collar or a flush trim bit with bearing? And would it be safer to hold the workpiece+template while cutting on the router table or should I clamp the workpiece and guide the router by hand across the template?

finally figured out how to give rep so +rep to you guys.

personally I would use the one with the bearing, and just make a template out of wood. it would be hella easier, just go slowly. party due to safety, and partly due to it wont kill the bit.
    if possible, ALWAYS clamp your workpiece. we rarely do, unless we need it, but it really is the safest way of doing something. you dont want the router to catch on the metal, and suddenly you have a peice of thin metal spinning at a few thousand rpm

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Just make sure its aluminum is all I can say. Aluminum on a router is no problem, but carbide bits certainly help. Steel is another issue. DON'T try it on a router.

I would set up a template out of wood or whatever and affix it using strong double sided masking tape (usually only available online) or double sided carpet tape. Make sure it's affixed properly and then use a router table to route out the window.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

ATX Mental Case

sorry if this is a little off topic but when i read the title all i could think of was you trying to cut your case with this

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...&ssbinary=true

hahaha yea same here