Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weird question

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Weird question

I had a weird thought today while driving around down town, one that I'm not even sure there is an answer too? But I was thinking, why is metal non transparent while glass is? And not just metal and glass, those are just examples. I guess it would be better to say, why are transparent things transparent and non transparent things non transparent? But that might be too vague of a question since the molecular and chemical structure of everything is different. But I'm thinking it has something to do with the molecular structure of things, but I guess you can say that for just about anything.

So does anyone know the answer? Its kind of a strange question, but I thought it was pretty interesting/fun to think about. I mean, if we could create transparent metal, how freaking awesome would that be?! It might not be possible though, but hey, the world ain't flat now is it?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Weird question

well to start glass there is the controversy of whether glass is a liquid or solid. the reason you can see through glass is because there is enough space in between each molecule that light can pass through, i think.

here is a link to how stuff works.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...ass/glass.html
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

From what I understand, the molecules in different arrangements within different substances reflect or absorb light at different wavelengths. This is also why we see color. In color, carbon atoms that have conjugated double bonds (alternating double and single covalent bonds) have different spectral signatures depending on how many bonds are contained within each molecule. If a molecular structure of a substance such as green paint absorbs light at all the frequencies of the visual spectrum except green, then green light is reflected back and that is what we see. So glass must not absorb any light (I am guessing here). As for transparent metal, it's not likely because metals have such a compact structure they essentially are a bunch of protons squeezed together with electrons being shared in all directions. But Star Trek submitted the idea years ago with one of the movies where "transparent aluminum" was used to build a strong fish tank for whales. Who knows, the sound barrier was broken so I guess anything is possible.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I think I'm on nerd overload after those explanations. +rep though.

"OK ... here comes the science" - from a L'Orreal advertisement

... Basically some thhings are transparent because the light travels through them whilst others are not because it doesn't.

Green glass absorbs all the light but green and "transparent" glass absorbs a little bit accross the spectrum.

I think a poem from Spike Milligan explains the theory rather well, even though it's talking about rain rather than atoms:

There are holes in the sky
    where the rain comes in
    But the holes are small
    Thats why rain is thin.

Similarly there are effectively "holes" in transparent stuff where the light gets through. Good thing the sky is not made of metal !! Hurrah ... because otherwise it would be a) very dark down here and b) very dry and c) we would all be albino and then L'Orreal would go out of business (albino's are famously pale faced when it comes to beauty products) and I wouldn't have been able to quote their very helpful ad slogan.
    Last edited by Crazy Buddhist; 08-03-2007 at 02:17 AM. Reason: spleling miskate

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    "OK ... here comes the science" - from a L'Orreal advertisement

... Basically some thhings are transparent because the light travels through them whilst others are not because it doesn't.

Green glass absorbs all the light but green and "transparent" glass absorbs a little bit accross the spectrum.

I think a poem from Spike Milligan explains the theory rather well, even though it's talking about rain rather than atoms:

There are holes in the sky
    where the rain comes in
    But the holes are small
    Thats why rain is thin.

Similarly there are effectively "holes" in transparent stuff where the light gets through. Good thing the sky is not made of metal !! Hurrah ... because otherwise it would be a) very dark down here and b) very dry and c) we would all be albino and then L'Orreal would go out of business (albino's are famously pale faced when it comes to beauty prodcuts) and I wouldn't have been able to quote their very helpful ad slogan.

WTF?

You mental?

But the poem? Genius. And true I think.

+rep for the poetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    WTF?

You mental?
    does his name not answer that for you??
    and even if he isnt mental he's sure ****ing smart!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

ATX Mental Case Cookies N' Milk's Avatar

Current Project: Resistance
    My New Super Sexy WorkStation Specs:
    2x Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz 12MB Cache @ 3.0GHz, 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC, Intel SkullTrail Board, 4x WD Raptor 74GB HardDrives in Raid 0, 2x Seagate 320GB HardDrives, ATI FireGL V8650-Switched back to an 8800GT for now cause of driver problems, ThermalTake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card

Life is like an analogy...

Transparent Aluminum

I had to.
    yep, thats what transparent aluminum is... a gem. aluminum oxide in its crystalline form and with no impurities is clear as far as i know.

As for transparent metal, it's not likely because metals have such a compact structure they essentially are a bunch of protons squeezed together with electrons being shared in all directions.
    well, actually, its not that simple. i wish it were though. metals only share their valence electrons, meaning the outer shell. the inner shells still belong exclusively to each atom. its not just a bunch of nuclei stuck together. that would entail a VERY dense material, and in fact a new element if all the nuclei were stuck together. we're talking neutron stars here if this were the case.

i dont think i can overstate the interconnectedness of light and electrons. im not sure if its known why materials are clear, and why others arent. i can make an educated guess that it once again has to do with electrons, and subsequently crystal structures. in fact, now that i think of it, i have a hypothesis (one of my first in many years). allow me to elaborate.

think of all the elements in their pure forms, excluding gases because we're talking solids here, and to a lesser extent liquids. are any pure elements clear? nope. now think of a lot of compounds. are they clear? sometimes. aluminum is a good example again. pure elemental aluminum is silvery. aluminum oxide is clear. perhaps the electron orbital hybridization involved in the creation of compounds is responsible for allowing light to pass through. even further to that, i might make the guess that colors are determined by the distances between atoms. i cant say why yet, because im still working it out in my head as we speak, but ill try to let you know soon. its starting to make sense to me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    WTF?

You mental?

But the poem? Genius. And true I think.

+rep for the poetry.
    What is mad? What is sane? And, most importantly, who is the judge?

Actually I'm not "mental" strictly speaking though I am a Crazy Wisdom Guru of the Karma-Kagyu and Nyingma Lineages of Tibbetain Buddhism. For those whose minds inhabit traditional patterns of sanity my thinking can seem "mental", i'll admit.

I was taking the "p" out of science and Lorreal: science doesn't understand why "light" travels through some "things" and not others because we don't really understand what "things" or "light" are for a start. Which would be a good beginning!

I was called a child prodigy in maths and physics which made it boring. Instead I sought out dope, girls and discovered out how to blow up the schools first computer by making the seriel port turn and off so damn quick it played a tune on a relay "Land of hope and glory"

... getting those tones right using "for-next loops" in basic to slow it down was a long job ... I hear it now ..."beeeeeep beeeeeep beeep beeep beeep beeeeeeeep beeeeep" and the refrain from my computer teacher "turn that F***ing thing off before it ..."

BANG

Computer lessons were less fun after that. While the school saved up for a new one, we went back to sending punch cards through the post and and getting them back a week later with a printout that said "Error on card 1". The feeling this gave us was only slightly better than the feeling we had after another week when the report said "error on card 2". Debugging was a slow proces back then and we all had lice anyway so pointless.

However .. I digress ...

I was also indeed, mimicking the style and Genius of that now-so-sadly-lost-to-us GOD of comedy, Monsieur Milligan, who's poems lighted up my childhood like a very bling sign saying:

" IT'S NOT ALL BAD "

And as you like his poems so much, here's another:

A baby sardine saw his first submarine,
    And swam to look through a peephole,
    "Come come", said his mum, don't be so glum,
    It's only a tin - full of people.

Peace + thanks for the rep + some back for your appreciation of Spike. May god toast him quickly.

CrazyB
    Last edited by Crazy Buddhist; 08-03-2007 at 04:56 AM. Reason: slepling stimakes