Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Behemoth renamed Project: Scintillation

Austral Alien

Default Re: The Iron Behemoth

Froop, it's called a heater core in English.

Other suggestions can include a motorbike radiator. Look at dirt bikes. Quite often they have tow radiators, one on either side of the frame. One side has a radiator cap, the other side doesn't and is just linked to the first radiator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

That's pretty cool Froop. Glad you found something to use with the 250mm fan size. Good info to know. Let us know some temp stats when you get it all hooked up. This could prove to be a cheaper to those of us without unlimited funding.

I actually plan on using 2 240mm radiators with 120mm fans attached. I plan to place my 250mm fans on the outside of the case underneath the iron cross on the side.

Idea????

Maybe 2 120mm x 240mm radiators placed side by side. Possible a 250 would fit? I have my second thermaltake rad on the way. I'll just see if it's possible to make a fit. Will let y'all know and give some pics of the test fit. Even if it would be possible to fit with brackets or something, the 250s I have don't push alot of air. I doubt the cooling would be better than using 2 120mm fans per rad.

Until next time,

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sorry everyone. I know I promised pics, but it's too late in the evening now, and I don't have time to upload them. I'll try to get them up at work tomorrow. I should have some more pretty good pics for you tomorrow evening too... We're about to start taking shape.

WOOHOO!!!

maybe something like THIS:
    http://froop.freakzz.de/pics%20f%FCr...0ass%20fan.JPG
    first though, KICK *SS COOLING 4 240mm radiators w0000t
    next tought, kinda expensive, yes i think you should really look for a bike radiator, theyll work fine

UPDATE!!!!

Sorry it's been a while since I've made any progress, but life gets busy. On to the work.

I started the day off by dismanteling one of the LCD screens I plan to use in this mod. I'm trying to get an idea of how everything connects up. Ended up with this. I'm going to replace the green led with a blue one. The led here has three legs though; not sure how to tackle this and replace with a 2 legged one. If anyone's got any advice how to get around this, LET ME KNOW!!

Another pic of the dismantle...

Some Sketchups of how I planned to incorporate the LCD & other components in the case top...

In front of the LCD graphics board, one os the power supplies will sit...

Finished the night off with lots of sanding, drilling and measuring. Then I mocked up the new addition to the case. The blue leds show up great. This pic was taken about 6:30pm. It wasn't even starting to get dark outside yet.

More pics of the mock-up..

I kinda like the way the leds shine through the outside onto my table there. Considering keeping it that way when I mount it to the case. Not really sure yet.

Another.. Notice a logo in the etching??

Some night shots...

Power supply behind the plexi. Not the final position, just mocked...

Well that's all I got for today. Thanks for checkin back.

looking good man like the project so far.

Three thumbs Up! and a +Rep
    Really Looks Great!
    Last edited by Eclecticos; 08-18-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    The led here has three legs though; not sure how to tackle this and replace with a 2 legged one. If anyone's got any advice how to get around this, LET ME KNOW!!
    I reckon that's a two coloured LED probably Green and either Red or Orange for standby. So when you take it out see which pins light it up green then put the 2 pins into the right ones from there. Or buy another LED with 2 colours which has blue and whatever.

You seem to be stood on my tail... Helix666's Avatar

The three legged LED is the equivalent of two LEDs connected back to back.

Kind of like this, but in one LED. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
    (x and y voltages are the same, but seperate circuits. So the LED can show two/three colours depending on which side(s) is/are lit.)

Code:
    GND -----|<|---+---|>|----- GND
                   |
                   |
                 +VCC
    (sorry about the craptacular ASCII art, but that's all I can come up with on short notice.)

So to replace it with one LED, you would have to figure out which side of the LED is powered for 'Power On' and which side is powered while the unit is in standby mode.
    Then you would connect the 2 legged LED in the holes where the pins for the 'power on' side of the LED were.

(Sorry if I explained this badly, I'm tired. (Changing phase the hard way.))

EDIT: Took me that long to bang this out that scotty got there first. Ah well.
    Quote Originally Posted by gntlkilr
    warranties are meant to be voided.
    Turns out, they'll let any idiot with a wrench work on hydraulics.

So I went out today to pick up some bondo too and fill in the gaps of my top skins that will be mounted to the framing. Then I returned and started to do more work on the framing.

I'm an idiot. I went to test fit my creation..

See all those boxes in my closet? Computer junk for days...

It's too big. When I measured the width of my case I found it was 8 1/8" wide. So I made a piece of frame that was 8 1/8" wide. Doh!!! I forgot to subtract the width of the plexi and styrene. stupid stupid stupid.

It was my last piece of aluminum, so I gots to go buy some more. I plan to get some bondo work done, and the framing completed. Then, we'll get to see the thing fully mocked up. Anyhow, I'll update you all later tonight and post some more pics.

Till then...