Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: HAF Mod 932

Default HAF Mod 932

So I cancelled Project Scintillation when I cam across the HAF 932 case by Cooler Master. It does exactly what I've been trying off and on to complete for the last few years; cleanly hide my radiator...

It's been rather tedious work over this last week creating the sketchup model to scale and I'm still not done, but this is where I'm at with it. It also shows the color scheme I intend to use.

To get started, I stripped every removable part out of the case and was left with this.

After about an hour of drilling out riviets, (there's a million of them on this case), I had this...

After taping off the original black coat of paint, I ran some twine between the trees in my backyard and began priming my dismantled case.

Before...

After...

While the primer dries, I began work on another part of this case.

Hopefully I can get to putting some color to the primed pieces tomorrow.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Default Re: HAF Mod 932

Ooohhh nice. I was literally just looking at that case as a possible case for Mark2... Very nice can't wait to see what you do with it
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Hardware View Post
    Ooohhh nice. I was literally just looking at that case as a possible case for Mark2... Very nice can't wait to see what you do with it
    I must say that this case is a beast. There's planty of room in it for my water cooling setup. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out too. Right now it's pretty much just paint, but who knows, maybe I'll get some inspiration for some custom mods; something more than just paint.

Update...

So I got some more painting done today until it started raining and I had to move everything to the garage. I also got some work done on my
    home-made reservoir. Leaked tested and approved...

Hey guys...

I came acrossed this pic of a haf 932. The guy painted the HAF letters on the side panel. It came out very clean, but I'm not sure how he accomplished this. Any ideas??

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Depends on how clean you want it to be, and how complex the letters you choose to use are. I use automotive repair products in my projects and have something called "fine-line tape" - it's basically a 3mm wide plastic masking tape - you put your design down in the tape, leaving the area you want to paint inside the tape, then you use regular masking tape and masking paper to get the rest of the case covered up. The idea is, you have regular masking tape half covering the fineline tape - but NOT the inner edge, and then tape the paper to the regular tape. Another alternative is to use some kind of stencil but depending on how much pressure you're using to push the paint, beware that a high pressure system like a compressor may well push paint under the edges of a stencil.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Hey guys...

I came acrossed this pic of a haf 932. The guy painted the HAF letters on the side panel. It came out very clean, but I'm not sure how he accomplished this. Any ideas??

Cover the whole logo with blue painters tape and use a razor to cut out the logo?

that would be my guess, but it does look very slick.

nice to see a HAF that isn't painted red and black .

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    Cover the whole logo with blue painters tape and use a razor to cut out the logo?

that would be my guess, but it does look very slick.

nice to see a HAF that isn't painted red and black .

LOL... It's funny you say that because I originally wanted to do black with metallic red accents because my current case is blue and black.. Due to an error on a purchase I made from the going out of business Xoxide.com, instead it's gonna be blue on black; hey that could be the name of the mod... The Cooler Master fans I ordered were supposed to have red leds, but instead I received fans with blue ones. So far I'm happy with how it's turning out.

I thought about taping of the logo, but my prior experience still produces over spray. I want a nice sharp edge on the letters. I was thinking there may be some kind of rubbery material I could apply with a brush around the logo, then tape of the remaining area. Apply the paint, then remove the rubbery material. i swear I've seen something like that before...

Thanks for tips though guys. i'll let you know what the final decision is and you'll see how it turns out.

-Remy

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

I'd say it was probably a decal....
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I thought about taping of the logo, but my prior experience still produces over spray. I want a nice sharp edge on the letters. I was thinking there may be some kind of rubbery material I could apply with a brush around the logo, then tape of the remaining area. Apply the paint, then remove the rubbery material. i swear I've seen something like that before...
    That's what I was talking about - the fine-line tape is a flexible plastic masking tape - it leaves a perfect edge - then you use regular paper masking tape to expand the width of the fineline tape, making sure that the inner edge of the fineline is untouched by the paper tape, then mask the rest off with paper - masking paper, newspaper, whatever...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    That's what I was talking about - the fine-line tape is a flexible plastic masking tape - it leaves a perfect edge - then you use regular paper masking tape to expand the width of the fineline tape, making sure that the inner edge of the fineline is untouched by the paper tape, then mask the rest off with paper - masking paper, newspaper, whatever...

The case doesn't have a smooth finish too it. It has a nice finish but the paint has some texture to it. I'll try to take a pic to show what I mean. I have a feeling that even with flexible masking tape, I may still see some overspray. I found some stuff on a Google search that is a liquid mask. I think overall that may provide the best solution when dealing with the texture. We'll see though... Thanks again for the tips.