Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Lee - Hemi Orange Shuttle

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default General Lee - Hemi Orange Shuttle

This is something I managed to get done about a year ago in between the half dozen moves I've made in the recent past - just thought I'd put up some pics.

I don't have any in-progress pics, unfortunately, just a before (from someone else's site) and the finished work. If nothing else, at least it'll show you guys that I DO finish things, honest

The victim - Shuttle SN85G4 v3 (which had become a little scratched and dented from a few years of being carried around)

And the after....

I'm not entirely sure about calling the only "mod" a mod - but I replaced the internal 80mm whine-machine that passes for a "silent" fan with a Akasa Amber 120mm fan via an 80-120mm adapter. It looks like it blocks the ports but everything is still accessible, just

The colour is Hemi Orange - which is the original colour used on the General Lee, for those Dukes fans out there!

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Re: Hemi Orange Shuttle

Are you gonna make it look more like a Hemi and not just an orange case? Maybe a confederate flag?

+Rep

and another little green box for you!
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I don't know - it's kinda finished at the moment - it was mainly about a little practice with paint - that's auto-standard finish - 2k primer, 3 coats of colour and 3 coats of 2k clearcoat and machine polished

Now you mention it though....

There really isn't any reason why I couldn't get some decals, apply them and they re-coat it with another few coats of clear....

AFTER K-9, lilblue and Neo (sentinel is still here but I don't know if it'll ever get done) I may have to think about Hemi v1.1....

After all, I did go and marry a self-confessed Redneck heh

Grrr ok - you got me thinking now TGS lol - so, I'm considering the following - a southern flag for the "roof" with General Lee either side of it, and a 01 on each side. Because I don't want the 01 to be massive and out of scale with the flag, I'm thinking of making it about 1 1/2 inches high, and putting it down in the corner near the rear of the case - still leaving a decent expanse of the clear orange - it's a really nice paint job and I don't want to cover it all up with stickers - the only thing I'm not sure on is the wording on the top...

Should I go with the original "General Lee" or should I maybe go with "General PC" just for a bit of a laugh.....

General PC. Love that paint job. Wish my practice turned out that well. Have some rep
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Well, to be honest - that was about the 5th or 6th time I painted it - and even then I had to take it to the bodyshop where I was working at the time for the finishing touches...

On a separate note - turns out that the wife happens to know some people back in the US who do all of the decals and lettering/vinyls/stickers for the local dirt racing/late model crowd, so with a bit of luck I'll be able to get the decals custom-made to exact specifications instead of settling for what I can find retail *fingers crossed*

Plan is for an 10"x6" Confederate flag for the top of the case, with General Lee either side of it (the purist in me beat out the joker who was considering General PC), and a pair of "01" decals approx. 2" high which will go in the back bottom corner of the sides, leaving plenty of that nice shiny orange on display....

The General was never (or very rarely) a hemi - the original car, along with "most" of the 300+ cars which have been generals were 383's so not going to add anything else hemi-related to it....

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I like General Lee-PC. It sounds like Eee PC. But seriously. Go to any auto parts store and they'll probably have a decal for the top, then all you'll need is the 01 for the one side. Load the sound of the horn into C:/Windows/Media and have it play on startup
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I'm getting the stickers custom made so they fit exactly the way I want them to - the flags I found online were either too small or too large - I want 10x6 and they seem to jump from 3x5 to 12x8 online grrr - my wife spoke to her friend on the phone today and I sent over a couple hi-res images of what I want along with dimensions - now it's just the waiting game....

As for the dixie horn - I'm now thinking about skinning windows with a Dukes theme - see what you started TGS - then it'll be a bootskin, startup and shutdown screens - if I'm going with it, might as well be thorough hehe

This isn't taking time away from K-9 - waiting till the end of the week for money to buy the sheet metal

While I'm waiting for these custom stickers, I decided to revisit another area of modding I kinda drifted away from years ago - Windows Customisation...

Here's a video of the Shuttle starting up with a modified windows boot screen, courtesy of Stardocks Bootskin XP.

Video captured using Fuji Finepix S5600 - only the second time since I got it I've actually used it for video

Definitely going to move forward and do a logon screen with Logonstudio, but I'm 50/50 on attempting a full Windowblinds skin - it's possible, even probable - I do have 3 12 hour shifts at work every week when I'm sitting with nothing to do.....

Be careful if you're using 2k clear over the decals. Get a couple extra and spray them on the side to see if they'll hold up to the solvents. I would be willing to bet that they won't. The ink they're printed with will probably run. The way I would approach it would be to scuff the clear with some 400 grit, mask out and airbrush the details, and then clear. That paintjob looks really good though. +rep