Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Behemoth renamed Project: Scintillation

Default Re: The Iron Behemoth

As promised I have some pics of tonight's progress. I applied 2 layers of fiberglass, 2layers of bondo and sanded the s#!t out of it. came out pretty good. Let me know what you think.

First, a public safety anouncement....
    Be safe when working with fiberglass . It's some nasty **** and will make you sicker than a dog if you don't use a breathing mask. Make sure it has organic vapor filters on it. I only paid $25 for at Ace hardware. USE IT!!!

Before____________________________________________ __________________________________________________ After

Clean____________________________________________ __________________________________________________ Not so clean...
    If you may recall, this was the first attempt. It came out nice and smooth, but was no where near strong enough to hold its shape. Look how thin it is.

I put down 1 layer of Bondo-Glass to help the styrene hold its shape. Then another layer and pressed the fiberglass cloth into it and let it cure. Next I put another layer of Bondo-Glass and pressed another layer of fiberglass cloth into it. Then coated with another layer of Bondo-Glass.

Bondo-Glass, Bondo-Glass, Cloth, Bondo-Glass, Cloth, Bondo-Glass....

Next I sanded the fiberglass to knock down the high spots, and prepped it for bondo body filler.

After 2 coats of Bondo body filler...

Then began sanding the s#!t out of it. I ended up with this.

Here's a quick mock-up, nothing's been bolted in place.

All-in-all, it was a very productive evening. This Bondo-Glass fiberglass material is great to work with. Just gotta do it fast. The stuff sets up uber quick. Tomorrow I plan on rebuilding the side frames for the top of the case; again with Bondo-Glass. I broke one of them today while prepping for the fiberglass. Oh well. They obviously weren't strong enough, and I'd much rather find out about it now, instead of later.

Let me know what you guys think. I was a fiberglass virgin until tonight. I think I did a pretty good job on it; so go easy on me.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Looks easy enough, might try it sometime.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

if you use a little less hardener with the fibreglass it wond set as quick
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    if you use a little less hardener with the fibreglass it wond set as quick
    Thanks. I learned that after the first application of Bondo-Glass.

I know I said I was going to begin working on the sides, but life happens. I was able to get the first 3 layers of the rebuilt sides done tonight. I will do a couple of more layers on each to get some more strength and thickness out of it. I will have to do that tomorrow; I ran out of fiberglass cloth tonight. I will post some pics for ya all tomorrow. I hope to have the thicknes I am looking for and the shapes cut out and bondo'd smooth.

Until tomorrow...

ATX Mental Case

Just a thought why not bend that out of some sheet metal, then bondo that for a smoother look. Would be like 2x stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Just a thought why not bend that out of some sheet metal, then bondo that for a smoother look. Would be like 2x stronger.
    Never thought about that. I do have the materials to do it, may be a little short on the tools though. If the fiberglass and bondo don't work out, that will definitley be an option.

Thanks for the input.

Jeremy

ATX Mental Case

for tools all you need is a vise and a block of wood. You can also use 2 blocks of wood and a counter as your bend point. 3rd way goto the hobby shop and get some sheet aluminum score with a razor knife 3 or 4 times at your bend point, then bend over the counter by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    for tools all you need is a vise and a block of wood. You can also use 2 blocks of wood and a counter as your bend point. 3rd way goto the hobby shop and get some sheet aluminum score with a razor knife 3 or 4 times at your bend point, then bend over the counter by hand.
    Excellent options. I think that I may have all those materials on hand. I will definitely use those options on the remainder of the case. I definitely like using the fiberglass, but it is a bit time cosuming. I think I just got another idea actually for a sheet of aluminum I have. I'll play around with the idea and try to get something done with it tomorrow.

Thanks for the hints.

Well, I got a little bit done on the mod over the last couple of days. I made the strips for the sides of the top addition to the case. I just need to get off my butt and go cut out the shape I need. But the nastiest part of it is done.

I got a little bored with the top addition and decided to mod my mouse. Had a little inspiration from .Maleficus. and his shark project.

This is the stock mouse (Logitech Mx51...

I replaced the red led a Bright Blue one...

Next I sanded the spit out of it and bondo'd over the logitech emblem...

Then I primed and wetsanded the pieces twice. Then I reassembled the damn thing, because I have no colored paint for it. Oops

I plan to paint it black at the back and have it fade to a metallic blue at the front. I will put a couple of coats of the matallic blue first. Then I will mask the TBCS logo in the original location of the Logitech logo, since I didn't sand it down enough. Then I will apply the black, (solid at the back and fading towards the front.

If anyone has any suggestions for masking the TBCS logo smaller than the size of a quarter, I'd appreciate it.

Until next time.

Later