Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1st post... need help Computer won't power on.

Default Re: 1st post... need help

I know this sounds stupid, but I've done this many times, so I'll throw it out there..

Unplug the power cord from the back of the PSU. Then, make sure it's plugged back in securely. Also, most PSU's have a switch on the back. Make sure it's in the correct position.

OK yes i have unplugged and plugged many times. Also When i turn on the rocker switch for the PSU i dont think the PSU fans turn on. those are quite ones but im pretty sure they dont. Also while i have tried the computer on off button a few times. The main thing i have been looking for was the green LED light on the motherboard. That was th first thing that turned on when i wiggled it the first time so i am using that as my indecator. Granted i have also tried the button as anyone tries anything when they are this frustrated.

So what the majority of the people are thinking is that, it is either the PSU, the motherboard itself, or a connection between the two. Is this correct? (personally i am in tha last group but i dont know much....)

Quote Originally Posted by bflanigin View Post
    So what the majority of the people are thinking is that, it is either the PSU, the motherboard itself, or a connection between the two. Is this correct? (personally i am in tha last group but i dont know much....)
    I suspect its the wires going into the motherboard connector. You already said you are going to check they are good.

The PSU doesn't come on nor does its fan until the computer comes on.

But ... if you keep wiggling wires to test it while the whole system has power and the PSU is switched on you might soon blow something.

So check that motherboard power connector really well that no wires are lose and replug everything then LAST THING plug in the power cord and turn on the PSU then either hit the start button or see if you have yr little green light ... but don't keep trying things with the power on or your gonna do more damage.

CrazyB

ok good thinking i will definatly do that. now i understand if it is the PSU, you replace it... does that wire coming off the PSU going to the motherboard, do i replace just that 20 pin wire? or would i have to still buy a new PSU. Also if it is the connector on the motherboard can i (or someone) solder a new one on? or do i replace the whole board?

thanks for all your help.

can you *borrow* a new psu to test the theory? It saves you buying a new one for the purposes of testing. I STRONGLY reccomend that you do not do any electrical work on the psu, you could possibly destroy everything in the process.

So..

Step 1: Borrow a PSU
    Step 2: Try the new PSU
    Step 3a: If it works, buy a new PSU. keep the old one for fiddling
    Step 3b: If it doesn't work, your motherboard's kinda fubard...Don't know what I can suggest there other than get a new one.

THE MOST IMPORTANT MORAL OF THE STORY:
    do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT rewire or open your PSU.

Austral Alien

Can you post a picture of your motherboard so we can see this wire you are talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

The easiest way to test a power supply is working is by shorting it's start mechanism. This is what is done by a power button normally. But if anything between the power button and the power supply is faulty you will have problems doing this. Check out: http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick
    As this can be done with a piece of wire or a paper clip, you will very quickly be able to verify that the power supply is working. However! Turn the switch on the supply OFF before you attempt to do this, or you may find yourself shocked at the result... Turn it on once your wire or paper clip is in. If the power supply runs, we can figure out just where exactly your problem is.

Hope this helps!

if you want to do less linking this theory will help:
    There is going to be a time when you need to run the power supply without the motherboard.
    Example: when you want to test to see if the power supply is bad, or just testing fans and other gadgets.
    Most circuits provide about a watt or less. And then there is the main power such as +12v, -12v, +5v, -5v, +3.3v and ground,zero v. You can mix and match combinations to achieve Voltages of: 1.7, 3.3, 5, 7, 8.7, 8.8, 12, 15.3, 17, and even 24 volts. And only the +12v and +5v Provide meaningful current.
    You can fire up the ATX power supply by shorting the Green wire with any Black Ground, Remembering an ATX Pwrs. will not fire up normally without a mother board.This is why it is necessary to jumper it off.
    from: http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/ind...showtopic=1120
    Last edited by Bucko; 08-02-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    Peace, love and Anarchy!

Default Re: 1st post... need help Computer won't power on.

thats what I love about my mother board..it's got a power button on the board that lights up as long as it's plugged in. Instant success.

Quote Originally Posted by Cymae View Post
    thats what I love about my mother board..it's got a power button on the board that lights up as long as it's plugged in. Instant success.
    lol ok then remind me to get that one when i find out mine is messed up. Ok so my understnanding is i need to try a new power supply because the cables and the PSU are all one peice. Ok i can do that... i think. I have to see if i know someone who has an extra PSU. Alexander, im not sure if the connection between the button and the PSU is good but i will still try your theory. ummm i can try to post a pic of my mobo this weekend however my normal camera is my palm an its made to sync up with.... ding ding ding my computer. when i borrow a power supply do i just hook everything up or just connect it to the mobo and check for lights?

oh question.... PSU diagnosis, so i am going to get a paper clip and run it from the green wire (Where? on th 20 pin?) then to any ground (black) wire. (then what am i looking for? does this trick the psu into starting, fans et al?)

things to do.
    attempt to do the aformentioned test.
    Borrow power supply and test. (if possible)
    report back. If new power supply makes everything function buy power supply. If after installing new power supply still nothing assume new mobo (in which case i will still need alot of help from everyone because i still know nothing.)

how much is a new PSU? oh and if i buy a new mobo can i still use my old processor to save some money? or is that package deal? it has the duo processor currently so i dont want to pay for that.

thanks for all the help hopefully after a couple more replies to my questions and a hour os so this weekend ill figure out... at least somthing

Edit to add: everyone i really appreciate your help because i am so lost... if anyone needs car help let me know! While i will try to stick around on these forums for a while, i wont be any help

this mothrboard looks exactly like mine... i just did a search for asus mother boards but this one is almost exactly mine... it might be actually. Anyway if you look at the bottum of the pic there is the 24 pin connection. (my psu only supplies 20 but i just dont use the ladt 4 on the left.) anyway, the wire i was wondering about (probably means nothing) has a white and black wire wound together. if you look at the picture,on the bottom about 2 inches to the dead right of the 24 pin connector there is another white connector and this is the wire i was wondering about. this it the only wire that i sleeved that wasn't a simply molex one going to fan or lights. anyway just curious. Thanks for everyones help. As soon as i get my answers to my pervious post ill try stuff when i get home and then i will report back. Thanks again for everyones help.