Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDD's won't spin up.

Fresh Paint

Default HDD's won't spin up.

I just bought a new case, psu, mobo, cpu and ram a little while ago. The case has a 450w psu. When I power-up, my HDD's don't spin up and I don't get the conformation beep from my mobo. Is there anything that anyone can think of off of the top of their heads? My HDD's are still in good working order. I need my computer back, please help me!!!!

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: HDD's won't spin up.

Well, start with unassembling everything and then reassembling it. That has seemed to work for me in more than one situation before.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

dosconnect every device apart from the mobo and hdd's. see if your PSU has enough beans to run it all.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Greco101

I dunno about spinning up, but check the jumpers in the back. I just put in a new hd today and couldn't figure out why the hell the computer wasn't reading it as a slave... then I realized I had the jumper in the wrong spot

Anodized

I agree with XcOM.
    I would first have nothing plugged into the mobo and try to boot up, it should still go through POST. It will fail because no harddrives are connected. then I would connect one harddrive at a time if you have multiple. If it boots up, then you should just plug in one at a time and see what is causing the fault. You should also do what Greco101 said, check your jumper settings. Another thing you might want to look at is the molex connector plugged into the harddrive. Maybe there's a loose connector? Hope this helps some.

it sounds stupid but double check everything is plugged in all the way and there are good connections.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

What all are you running under the hood there CHIMERA? A 450w is usually enough power in most "cases". lol sorry, couldn't resist.

But that is a good idea none the less. Disconnect anything and everything you don't need and see what happens. Just to make sure as well, go ahead and disconnect everything you can first. Then when you reassemble it, only reassemble what you need to get your pc running.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

if you have a spare psu, plus er in and make 100% sure that its not just a bad power supply

Fresh Paint

thanks guys. i shall have to try all of these solutions after i get out of work. +rep to all of you.

ATX Mental Case

I would also check the front panel pin out wires to make sure you have them in the right place and not plugged in backward because you hear no post beep that could be the case speaker plugged up wrong also make sure your Ram is properly seated. After trying what all the other guys said take out one stick of ram at a time and try to boot you could have a bad stick.
    If you are using IDE hdd make sure you have the cable oriented to pin 1.

Charles