Thread: laptop monitor in pc case

Default laptop monitor in pc case

is it possible to take a monitor from a laptop and put it in the case of a computer and make it function as a computer monitor and/or tv screen? if so. please give me soem tips

Default Re: laptop monitor in pc case

Laptop LCD's require an LCD controller, which can be expensive, and not all LCD's can be run by aftermarket controllers. EarthLCD.com is a good place to research this, but the best way to run a laptop LCD in a briefcase is to use the entire laptop in there. Otherwise, get an LCD monitor to put in there.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

where can i get lcd monitors? and how much are they?

Austral Alien

You can get LCD monitors at most computer shops and other electronics retailers, and online at eBay, newegg and a host of others.
    Really, an LCD screen is like the easiest thing to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by Lukifer122 View Post
    Laptop LCD's require an LCD controller, which can be expensive, and not all LCD's can be run by aftermarket controllers. EarthLCD.com is a good place to research this, but the best way to run a laptop LCD in a briefcase is to use the entire laptop in there. Otherwise, get an LCD monitor to put in there.

Sorry to burst the bubble.
    Before I go there, I have not had too much experience with taking apart laptops. How similar are connectors on laptops such as the last 3 years of dells?

You mean the external connectors on the laptop itself? Pretty similar.. usually 2 or 3 usb ports, 1 ps2 port (sometimes not even there anymore), an S-video output (tv out), LPT port (printer), and serial port (com port, rs232).

If you are talking about the internal connections for the LCD panel, each model uses a different LCD controller, that is only valid for the panel in it. I actually got my hands on an exact replica of my old laptop, a Compaq 710CA, and it has a difference LCD panel and controller even though the entire laptop is identical in spec otherwise. They are even about the same age (manufactured in 2001).

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro