Thread: **** the monitor, I want an HDTV

Default **** the monitor, I want an HDTV

So yeah, I was thinking of getting a new monitor, never did, then thought about it again. So now, I want to get an HDTV instead. I was thinking something 32" to 40". 32" would probably be just fine, I don't think I'd need anything more. Cheapest one I've seen is like $500, and I should be able to get a 42" for like $750. So anyways, anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer LCD.

Greco101

Default Re: **** the monitor, I want an HDTV

that's just too big to take in for me. I'd rather get the samsung 226 and a new surround sound sytem.

Resident Alcoholic

HDTVs are REALLY crap compared to proper monitors
    the resolution sucks and clarity is aweful.
    Get a nice 22" samsung syncmaster - far better image quality, and FAR better resolution.
    Trust me - I have a 48" HDTV and a 22" monitor and I can tell you that size is NEVER a good replacement for resolution.
    H
    H

Because I obviously said I'm going to use an HDTV to replace my monitor. Though I might hook my computer up to it and play some games on it while in my bed.

well what ever you end up getting (monitor, or tv) get a samsung...

if you go with 40" and below then get a lcd (all you can get anyway) otherwise 42" and up plasma all the way. (for video gaming anyway) its better for displaying true black.

though if end up with none of them you can always send me the extra cash you have. just pm me and i will send you my paypal hahaha.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    I have to disagree with that PARTIALLY. My 32" LCD is 1080i and when hooked up to the VGA port, it runs max res of 1024x768.. Not that great? Well when you sit on the couch from 5 feet away from the screen you don't need to run 1600x1200 or you'll never see anything! 1024x768 on the VGA port is amazing. I have only been able to ply bf2 on a 128mb ati car with it so far (from my inspiron) but I have my htpc halfway built. I am dying to test out the HDMI input with a HDMI video card. I'm sure Bf2 will lookjust that much better.
    You'll love HDMI. I played Call of Duty 3 through the HDMI on Drei sechzig and it was amazing.

In fact its kinda funny. I was thinking of selling my 20" widescreen for a 30" widescreen HDTV w/ HDMI before I saw this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

I also have an 8800GTX, which can output in HD. So depending on what TV I get, I can either hook it up directly to the DVI port, or I can hook it up via component cables.

I have a 42' samsung LCD Projection and I love it. I have a 6150 onboard. I use a dvi to hdmi for it and it works perfect. I forget what my pixel are set at, but I remember when I set it up that i just ran through the setup and chose 720p as the size of my tv. The only bad thing about it is that youtube - online videos - quality is really bad. Capture card videos seem like they work flawless.

I have my computer hooked up to my brother's 32 inch LCD HDTV right now. It looks fine, better than my 17 inch LCD monitor even. So even if I did use a TV as my main monitor, which I don't plan on doing, it would still look great.

From what Ive heard the best tv to use as a monitor is the Westinghouse W3. Its 1080p and gimmie a sec and Ill find a review.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...pic.php?t=7036
    Theres a user review you hear in mentioned a lot on that site.