Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mobo suggestions

Default Re: mobo suggestions

I had a D820 too.. with good air cooling, I hit 3.7ghz on mine! People with water have pushed it up as high as 4.2ghz I believe.

Get a C2D anyways.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

well I figure I'll get the mobo for now, then when I have some more money to spend I'll upgrade to a c2d or maybe even a c2q, depending on how the prices go

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    I think I'm going to get the P5Q Deluxe.
    Intel Pentium Dual Core != Pentium D. That motherboard will not support your Pentium D 820. The P45 does not support Netbust cores (e.g. Pentium 4, Celeron D, or Pentium D), that's why it requires the 400 series of celerons. Everything since P35 chipset has not supported Netburst processors (see http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...r3,1607-3.html ).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

This advanced ATX platform has been specially built for Intel Core 2 Extreme, Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Duo, Pentium dual-core, Celeron dual-core, and Celeron processors. And it's compatible with Intel 05B/05A/06 and Intel 45nm multi-core CPUs
    according to that it will work

No it will not, the Pentium Dual Core is not the same as the Pentium D. The Pentium Dual Core is based off of the conroe core, Pentium D was either a presler or a smithfield core depending on if it was the 800 or 900 series. If the board will not support the Pentium 4 it can not support the Pentium D. Unless it is covered under those Intel 05A/05B/06 numbers, which I'm in the process of looking up.

--edit--
    Ok, according to http://processorfinder.intel.com/list.aspx?ProcFam=2112 it may work, but I wouldn't count on it. I have a Pentium D 820 and can verify that it can't work on a gigabyte P45 motherboard or an intel G31 motherboard.

--edit2--
    Ok, according to http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a the 820 should work on that board, which is very strange as the P45 is not supposed to support Netburst processors.
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Its probably the same as that whole crossfire thing. In the past, not too long ago, it wouldn't have worked on this or that board. Today it works just fine, on the same exact board(s).

Technology updates retardedly fast. What wasn't possible yesterday is more than likely possible today.

Also, most boards don't tell you every processor they support. You'll usually have to go to the product page and look it up specifically to make sure. These days, its a pretty safe bet that as long as its LGA 775, an LGA 775 processor will more than likely work with it.

As for the Pentium D and Pentium Dual Core thing. If it says Pentium D, then its the old version. If it says Pentium Dual Core, then its the new version. It gets confusing because I believe the D on the old one stands for dual core and the new one is called Dual Core. But thats pretty much it. Pentium D stands for dual core, but it is still called Pentium D. Pentium Dual Core is a whole different processor line. Its pretty stupid if you ask me. "Pentium D v2" would of been so much easier. lol (same thing with the celerons. gah, don't bring back old processors and revamp them with the same or similar names! Its too damn confusing and makes you feel like you have old tech!)
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Also, most boards don't tell you every processor they support. You'll usually have to go to the product page and look it up specifically to make sure. These days, its a pretty safe bet that as long as its LGA 775, an LGA 775 processor will more than likely work with it.
    Not really, most new LGA 775 boards do not support netburst CPUs, there are a few "gems" out there that do support just about everything that has been on a LGA 775 socket, the P5Q Deluxe looks to be one of these. I have two built by intel motherboards, one Q45 and one Q35 based both do not support the Pentium D, I know from first hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    As for the Pentium D and Pentium Dual Core thing. If it says Pentium D, then its the old version. If it says Pentium Dual Core, then its the new version. It gets confusing because I believe the D on the old one stands for dual core and the new one is called Dual Core. But thats pretty much it. Pentium D stands for dual core, but it is still called Pentium D. Pentium Dual Core is a whole different processor line. Its pretty stupid if you ask me. "Pentium D v2" would of been so much easier. lol (same thing with the celerons. gah, don't bring back old processors and revamp them with the same or similar names! Its too damn confusing and makes you feel like you have old tech!)
    Pretty much, the whole Pentium D vs Pentium Dual Core thing is a major pitfall.

I don't know if it will work or not, too tired to check right now, but he's correct that Pentium Dual Core != Pentium D. Pentium Dual Cores include the E2100/2200 series, E4300, and the E5200 and several others, but not the Pentium D's. Completely different cores. Stupid naming schemes.