Thread: Review: NZXT Tempest "AirFlowKing" Case!

Default Review: NZXT Tempest "AirFlowKing" Case!

The NZXT Tempest is the perfect example of maximum cooling fan efficiency in a pc case.
    Through effective experimentation, research, and product development NZXT has successfully
    developed a attractive enclosure that is defiantly worthy of the name “AirFlowKing”.

Introduction: The mid-tower case is slightly larger than average, it features subtle curves and stylish design impressions. The front drive bay covers and areas on top of the case are covered with standard ventilating mesh. A total of (4) 120mm fans, and (2) 140mm fans have been positioned in key locations throughout the case where they are most effective. Warm air rises inside the case, and is then forced out the top by two exhaust fans. Two intake fans are located on the front, and side of the case, they draw cold air into the case cooling the active components inside.

Quote Originally Posted by NZXT View Post
    NZXT, a company built upon gamer's dreams, hopes to create products that put consumers first. With the objective of designing unique products catered for hardware enthusiasts and gamers, NZXT has grown into a globally renowned brand recognized for dedication towards creating the next great gaming product. NZXT has won numerous awards from media and publications from across the globe with a product line spanning from gaming chassis, power, and gaming input devices. As a corporation formed by gamers, NZXT continues to expand into new horizons and push the limits further with each product unveiling.
    Retail Price: $129.99
    Available at Xoxide.Com Here <=-

The NZXT Tempest case is enclosed in a white, and blue box that features a great picture of the case with a gloss finish. When compared to the black box I think this design and color scheme will attract more attention.

It is protected on each end by closed cell foam that protects it from damage during transit. It has been fitted to sit snug inside the box. The case is covered by a clear plastic bag the preserves the gloss finish. The side panel window is covered by protective adhesive plastic. The internal wires leading from the front panel have been bundled together in an organized fashion.

There is an included accessories package that features an embossed NZXT logo. It contains (1) User Manual, (6) Drive Slides, (2) Cable Clamps, and two small bags that contain (10) Motherboard screws, (4) HDD Screws,(4) FDD Screws, ( Duct Screws, (13) Odd Screws, and (1) Mobo Speaker.

Power and reset buttons are mounted on top of the case on the control panel bezel. There are (2) USB Ports, (1) E-Sata Port, (1) ¼”Microphone Jack, and (1) ¼”Headphone Jack, Also mounted on the bezel. It is conveniently located on the top of the case for easy access.

The front of the case features an angled front panel with backlit stripes on both sides. Angled impressions or side flares complement the front panel design. Standard ventilating mesh has been used as drive bay covers. They cover the front of the case from top to bottom. There is also a NZXT logo stamped in the upper left hand corner. The overall frame is well constructed and sturdy.

Here is another view of the side flares, and other detailed areas of the side panel.

The side panel features a beveled plexi window, slighty raised, and angled. (1) Blue 120mm LED fan is installed toward the front of the window. Perforated metal or mesh covers the round opening on the panel window. A Blue LED fan lights the case window, and illuminates the interior of the case for your viewing pleasure.

The motherboard tray is much like any other it is non-removable, and
    supports the following motherboard types: E-ATX, ATX, MICRO-ATX, BABY AT

The drive locks are mounted on the drive cage with two phillips head screws. You simply turn knob to lock and unlock the drive. It is labeled close, and open with directional arrows for quick reference. There are also eight Internal 3.5" Hard Drive Bays that have been cleverly arranged in a vertical position to utilize all available space. Hard drive slides have been premounted to the chassis for your convenience.

There are (7) total expansion card slots. Each slot is covered by a standard expansion bay cover and attached to the chassis with one Phillips head screw. The power supply receptacle is situated on the bottom of the case below the expansion slots. A mounting stand has been incorporated into the bottom of the case that supports the power supply unit; effectively aligning it in the ideal mounting position.

A total of (6) fans installed throughout the case. (2) 140mm fans on the top panel, (2) 120mm Behind the front panel, (1) 120mm at the rear of the case, and (1) Blue 120mm fan installed on the side panel. The overall case cooling power is far more than impressive. The effective placement of each case fan ensures the user maximum heat dissipation. The NZXT Tempest has more fans that any other case I have reviewed.

The opposite side panel is basically the same as the other side except there is no fan or window.
    It is solid black with bordered accents that carry over from the front panel, and top bezel assembly.

On the rear of the case there are (2) ¾” hose grommets that allow you to route your watercooling hoses out of the back of the case chassis. The power supply receptacle is situated at the bottom of the case. The fan grill is a basic stamped square fan guard. There is another ventilation area on the right of the expansion card slots.

Here are a few pictures of the illuminated NZXT Tempest case.

Specs:
    Case Type: Steel Mid Tower
    Front Panel Material: Reinforced Plastic
    Dimensions 211.5mm x 521.5mm x 562mm

Cooling Fans:
    (2) 120mm Blue LED "Front"
    (1) 120mm Black "Back"
    (1) 120mm Blue LED "Side"
    (2) 140mm Blue LED "Top"

Drive bays:
    15 Drive Bays.
    6 External 5.25" Drive Bays
    1 3.5" External Bracket
    8 Internal 3.5" Drive Bays
    Screwless Rail Design

Power Supply: Optional 500 Watt ATX 12V
    Weight: 11.2 Kgs Excluding Power Supply.

Motherboard Support:
    E-ATX, ATX, MICRO-ATX, BABY AT

Pros:
    Unique in Design.
    Four 120mm Fans.
    Two 140mm Fans.
    Included Thumb Screws.
    Cool Lighting Throughout.

Cons:
    PSU Not Included.

Last edited by Eclecticos; 06-01-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Review: NZXT Tempest Mid-Tower

Nice review, good pics, good info. Good God that's a lot of fans! +rep
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Yep, they move allot of air to. Its more of a central cooling unit than anything else.

nice case, and great review!
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

I just got this case myself.
    Nice review! +Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Review: NZXT Tempest "AirFlowKing" Case!

Good review and very good case for the price, if I had that case I would paint the internals especially with it having a window.

Default Re: Review: NZXT Tempest "AirFlowKing" Case!

very nice...cool...hope i could make one