Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Celtic Knot Inspired

Anodized

Default Celtic Knot Inspired

First of all, thank you to my Sponsor Thermaltake. They make awesome stuff and have used their stuff before, so check them out when looking to build or upgrade a new rig.

Hi all, I am new here and new to modding. I have always wanted t make a PC case out of wood but, instead of using solid timber, I am using MDF in this mod.

I am using the metal frame of an old case I have, and plan to fix the MDF to the frame (haven't quite worked out the details of that yet).

I am planning on carving the MDF based on one of my designs that has a Celtic Knot influence. I use the software AutoCAD to draw the design, then print out A4 sheets and stick them together so I have a 1:1 scale of the design that I can use as a template.

This is the old case.

This is the design printed out onto 3 A4 sheets that are taped together.

This is some scrap MDF I have that I will use for the front panel of the case.
    I will need to get more MDF to finish the case.

Some music to Mod by

Tools I am using for the carving

Here I am using a glue stick on the back of the design which I then stick onto the MDF board.

Once the design is stuck to the MDF, I then start scribing/cutting over the lines of the pattern. These are called stop cuts, as they stop you carving beyond the line.

After making the cuts, I can then peel off the paper and I am left with the cuts.

Starting to carve

What I have managed to carve today.

I would have done more today except I injured myself trying to get my cat from next door. I fell over the fence and landed on my head straight onto brick. I also somehow bent my big toe nail back a bit and it bled. So with a sore head and a foot I can't stand on, I called it a day for now. Also tonight it is going to only be about 1degree so I don't really want to be in the garage as I have no heater in there.

I will post more tomorrow.

Default Re: Celtic Knot Inspired

First - Welcome to TBCS!!

Second - Nice design and off to a good start.

Third - Next time go around the fence.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Custom Title Honors

welcome to the madness.

your mod looks good so far.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

That looks awesome! Welcome to TBCS!
    TheMainMan

Anodized

Thanks everyone for the warm invite. Here is a picture of day 2 of the PC case

Quote Originally Posted by Espie79 View Post
    I fell over the fence and landed on my head straight onto brick. I also somehow bent my big toe nail back a bit and it bled.
    Ah, the hazards of modding...

Looks pretty cool so far. What are your plans for optical drives and a power switch? Or do I have to just wait and see?

Welcome to TBCS by the way.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Ah, the hazards of modding...

Looks pretty cool so far. What are your plans for optical drives and a power switch? Or do I have to just wait and see?

Welcome to TBCS by the way.
    Thanks, yeah I will have a DVD burner and power and reset swithes, I will post pics that explain in next post.

Anodized

OK, here is Day 3. I have pretty muched finished the carving of the front panel, just need to sand it a bit. I have cut out the panel for the DVD burner. The dvd burner will be behind a MDF panel which I haven't cut out yet.

ANd here is the front panel leaning against the case

Anodized

Day 4 - So far today I have just sanded the front panel and applied a finish to it. I used acrylic paint and linseed oil to get an aged look. I then wiped off the excess oil and paint with a rag.

I thought the next step might be to look at the wiring as I haven't quite worked out how I am going to do it. I also need to reslove how I am going to create a button for the DVD burner to open. I have made a hole but haven't worked out the details. I also need to work out how to attach the drive door to the panel.

Anyway, here are the latest pics - the first pic doesn't really show the true colour of the finish.

This is the front panel leaning against the case. This shows the actual colour much better. I still need to cut out MDF for the side panels and the top.

Anodized

Here is a quick photo taken with LED's in place. The orange light will actually be red but i didn't have a spare red LED handy - I'll have to clean the shed to find the bag of them. I purchased 1000 LED's for $30 online a few years ago as it was cheaper than buying them seperately at Dick Smith Electronics - for $30 at Dick Smith, I could only buy 9 LED's - what a rip off.