Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1823242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Project N0NAME

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project N0NAME

Did you consider mounting the radiator on the rear of the case and pass the tubes through a few cut holes? That's what I intend to do to mine.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

D'Oh

Which radiator? The small one?
    I was first planning to have nothing sticking out, but as you can see, the PSU is moved with 5-7cm. Now, it is only out by 2 cm, but I was planning on future upgrading and decided that a PSU that installs from the outside is better, especially if it is a big one... BTW, using a PSU calculator I found out that I need a bigger unit if I were to keep my current OC,6 to 12 fans, a new 8800 card and one more hard drive.. now, that wouldn't leave room for anything else, in fact it would keep the PSU at 500+ W if in 100% load..

But now that you mention it, I could do some work outside of the box , mounting at least the small rad in the back.. and the fan blowing on it, rather than sucking thru it.. Good thing I'm doing a model of the case, so I don't have to tear it apart in real life..

Worklog time:
    The peltier will be here in a month's time, so no need to plan anything. I have done some research and found that this isn't really that suited for super-cooling my OC'ed CPU, but a chipset or video card would like it. As a rule, those who use peltiers seem to go for double the wattage on the unit as opposed to the heat dissipation of what is cooled. The PSU for the peltier will either be an old PSU I have laying around or a new one, scratch built.. long time till then..
    I almost ordered a chipset block, but I am not a verified paypal member yet, so I couldn't finish the order.. lol.. No errors, just nothing.. There was a small print somewhere on the page, but I dind't notice it at first :|

I'm going with a low-flow block, as there isn't much need for cooling this part as it doesn't generate much heat... I'll show pics someday too

Seeing as this is the thread I post all my electronics stuff, I have to write this here: I spent a few bucks today on raw materials (FeCl, copper, capacitors, resistors, transistors and other stuff) and will probably be doing the PCB posted a few days ago, with a couple of small modifications. I have all my materials, except one 0.2ohm resistor! No one has this in stock here, and I've been to 4 local specialty shops. As this is not part of the working part of the circuit, but from the short circuit protection circuitry, I can still build and test the controller..
    Also, I bought 3 nice thermistors, although I don't really know how to use them effectively. They have a 9k ohm resistance at normal room temperature but if I >>don't laugh<< stick it in my mouth, the resistance drops to 0.. I'm either really hot or it can't record higher temps than the normal body temp..

I spent the entire day finding parts and I also have some pics

In order to transfer my design on the copper board, I first wanted to see if it fits on paper... Plus, because I have draw the circuits by hand as I don;t have a printer, the practice is essential.

This is the on-screen schematics and >>>>>>>>> this is what I drew on paper. Just a sketch, remember, so I could stroll along with this in my pocket instead of the 19" screen I needed a hard copy to buy the components because some have different dimensions for the same part.

This is my workbench for today. Notice the small black things on the white background, on top of the screen: those are the chips I'll be using.. 2 of them..

I would love to have a second screen as my keyboard and as another means of imputing data.. Anyone knows of any touch-sensor-add-ons?

More fitting test.. As I had to go in 4 different places to find my parts, I had to walk a long way on a really hot summer day.. So, I made 2 trips.. This is what I got after the first. And then after the second

Couldn't resist it and made some close shots I thought they look nice

I arranged the parts as they would be pt on the board, so as to help me when the times comes.. Those resistors have color bands on them to tell you their value, but I am only learning the code, so it is much faster to have them arrange right after I bought them.. I measured them for safety reasons and after I got their value, pop they went into the mock board..

Of course, I might have taken the buying too seriously and got some spare parts.. Not used in this mod, but who knows

That's it for now, more later.

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Looks good, i think, still confusing :p

CS3 FTW

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post
    I would love to have a second screen as my keyboard and as another means of imputing data.. Anyone knows of any touch-sensor-add-ons?
    Check out www.EarthLCD.com for touch kits.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

D'Oh

Looking now.. Let's see... their biggest size is 15".... hmm.. and it is quite expensive still, another one on my list! Till now, if I really wanted something, I always got it.. So, if they show promise, there will be lots of rep for you

Hmmm.. A 15" lcd wouldn't be that expensive.. and it would be like an 8 inch customizable full color keyboard plus playlist

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

D'Oh

I found some 19" kits on ebay, and I'll may buy one, but first I have to get more cash.. Good things a small trickle always exists and there always is someone in need of computer/graphics help I need aprox 120 bucks to get this dream in my pocket..

More real things now:

Not having any printer sucks.. But it's a good thing I have a steady hand Using my trusty and sharp blades and my drawings I can transfer the circuit on the copper board, one line at a time, using my nice PCB marker..

..progress pics.. doing the whole board took about 1 hour.. with breaks, cause my hand was very shaky after cutting the tighter portions.

this is where the board is now... brown stuff It's gonna take half an hour or so to etch to the uncovered copper, but I hope it will be worth the wait.

more soon..

D'Oh

...took the board out of the solution.. and rinsed it..

this is how it looks.. the black marker is still there, and underneath there is a nice layer of copper.. the only place that got me worried is the bends..

..after cleaning with soap, 800 grit sand paper and some care..

..and this a close up..

more later..

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Wow so that's how you do it. Great work.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

D'Oh

This is the cheapest way and the only one I have access to right now.. Back at Uni, I had/will have access to special transfer materials and better tools fot this job.. Still, I spent about half an hour verifying the traces with my multimeter and have made sure that there are no shorts, that all traces conduct and that I have a working base for the next step: drilling. I need a 0.71mm drill... which I don't have here. But I guess I'll improvise

I think I could have improved on the "look" if I would have made the traces thicker in some places and if I would have used something straight to draw the lines.. My hand is not that precise as I would like it to be

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Systm over at revision 3 has just released a vid tut on this.

http://revision3.com/systm/etching
    Need a sig