Thread: This is cool.. I wonder how hard it would be to DIY

Default This is cool.. I wonder how hard it would be to DIY

Ok, you all know me, and how much of an LED freak I am. I came across this cool bulb at thinkgeek, and started thinking if there would be a way to DIY. Obviously, the hard part would be the remote, but hey.. who doesn't have a spare AIO remote from the cable company?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/831e/

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

Default Re: This is cool.. I wonder how hard it would be to DIY

hmmm dont think you could do it A: that small or B: that cheap

try it tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I see it like this; Someone somewhere made one at some point in time, so why can't you? There are exceptions to that of course, such as people who have access to machines and devices that can accomplish that which humans cannot. Is this one of those situations? I don't think so, but maybe? To me, if its worth asking if its possible or not in the first place, then it probably is. If you know right off the back that it wouldn't be possible then it probably isn't.

Not really any helpful information for you in all of what I just said, but I meant it more as a "if you put the time and effort into it, you can probably figure it out" type of encouragement.

On a difficulty level, I would say its pretty high up there. It seems like it would require a lot of time and research as well as beta testing to get it to work right. It actually might end up being somewhat costly. Its one of those situations that I think wouldn't be worth getting into if its just for the avoiding of paying the asking price. But if your looking for a project to do just to do it and if you are serious about it, then it might be worth attempting. Its up to you really. Personally, I'd rather just buy the bulb kit and be done with it, but thats just because I have no desire to tinker around for unknown amounts of time trying to figure out how to build my own.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Blast from the Past

Well, I like the idea...
    I think that if you could find a way to have a controller board in the bulb work off of a normal light socket, you would have a great head start...then you would just need to place in the LED's, make them look pretty and program the board to accept commands from the remote...which means you need the remote to be able to communicate with the board...bluetooth, maybe?

It's a sweet idea.

I knew the game was up when he played the Jack of Spades...

ATX Mental Case

Well.. you can program a microcontroller to turn certain lights on at certain times, or use a switch to do so. Using red/blue/yellow/red lights. And combinations of them. Like turn yellow and blue on and make green. Or red and blue to make purple.