Thread: Looking For A Cheap Full Tower Case..

Anodized

Default Looking For A Cheap Full Tower Case..

Hi, I am looking to mod a computer case for air cooling. I currently have a Sunbeam Transformer case, and I don't feel that 5 fans are enough. I have looked at computer cases, and they all just don't seem to have that great of a design in my opinion, so I just want a very basic, bare bone full tower computer case, with lots of modding potential.

I looked at newegg and xoxide for cases, none of them are good enough except the Lian Li, but that's WAY out of my price range (I don't see why I should spend more than $100 on a very basic computer case when my Transformer cost me $75) so I was wondering if there were any websites that weren't as popular with a better selection in cases that are bare bone and ready for me to cut all kinds of holes in it.

Thank you very much for any help, I look forward to reading what you have to say.

*Just to add, if the case was tool-less I'd very very happy with that, I plan on upgrading the computer quite a bit so the less work I have to do while upgrading is always a plus.

**A Case Like This would be nice, but I don't need the sound proofing, but I like the design of the case, just looking for a cheaper price.

Default Re: Looking For A Cheap Full Tower Case..

Go around to local businesses and computer shops, see if they have any outdated server/workstation cases they'd be willing to give away cheaply (or free). I got two two-foot mid-'90s Gateway 2000 towers from my school district; both of them were designed for AT but are damn close to ATX compatible, and the older one now has four 120mm holes in it with another to come, while the newer of the two will have a 172mm fan transplanted into the front.

If you want cheap, that's the way to go. Keep an eye on eBay as well, though the shipping is often a deal-killer there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I got mine out of the trash from this guy who is always throwing away computers and accessories. I got my printer the same day, too (complete with ink!). It prints to paper up to 13x19. It's an HP Deskjet 1220C. I got it about a year ago, and I'm still using the same ink that came with it.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Talking Re: Looking For A Cheap Full Tower Case..

LIAN-LI PC-7B PLUS II BLACK ALUMINUM MID TOWER ATX CASE

Refurbished chassis make the most bang for the buck Thermaltake

Case Clearance Center directron.com

ATX Cases

Depending on how much modding you're going to do with the thing, don't cheap out, buy an aluminum case. It'll make life SO much more easy. You'll save in blood, sweat, and blades!

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Mine is aluminum. I haven't cut steel yet, and I don't really want to have to find out the difference (for cutting it).
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I haven't worked with much aluminum, but steel's not that bad if you have a light touch. I've cut a few meters of Thick-Ass Case Steel with a couple (now-dead) standard wheels and one and a half of the reinforced sort.

Hey, what I'm spending on blades, I'm saving on the case itself...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Anodized

Thanks for the help. I've been looking at NZXT cases, hopefully I'll order something soon, but with the economy the way it is, it's going to be hard to even pay for college now.

ATX Mental Case

Was college ever easy to pay for?

was for me, i worked my ass off to pay for it.

and as for cases try X-case

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!