Thread: My motherboard died :(

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default My motherboard died :(

So I went to turn on my computer today, and take a guess what happened.

Nothing.

Fans come on, but then nothing happens. So I go through the process of trying out all of my parts. Every single part worked perfectly fine in my other PC, so I came to the conclusion that my good ol' ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe had finally kicked the bucket.

I wasted no time getting my "Auxilary" PC all set to my liking and making sure I didn't sulk over my unusable Gaming PC. As I'm typing this I got my two RAID 0 drives hooked up to this motherboard and I'm running RAID Reconstructor to get my Firefox Bookmarks and Logitech Macros off of there. Though if this doesnt work, thats all I will lose because a long time ago I decided to never keep anything ultra-important (i.e. photos, music, documents) on a RAID 0 setup, and kept it all on an external hard drive.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to be ordering myself an ASUS P5Q-E to replace this, but I'll probably sell it as soon as Lucid Hydra motherboards come out...

What a mess though...boy with computers you never know...
    You guys have any catastrophic problems lately?
    And how did you deal with them?

-Indybird

Default Re: My motherboard died :(

I assume you've reset CMOS, pulled the battery, done all that fun stuff? Doesn't beep at you? Just fans?

Sucks, man. Glad you had everything backed up, though.

I haven't had anything happen lately (knock on wood)... last time I had the motherboard in my main PC conk out, it was my fault (got a stick of RAM in halfway, one side didn't click in, and I didn't feel it, was working in the dark)... that was a few years ago, ended up on a 1 GHz Thunderbird until the board came back from EPoX.

Is your board still under warranty? Worth RMAing, if it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    I assume you've reset CMOS, pulled the battery, done all that fun stuff? Doesn't beep at you? Just fans?

Sucks, man. Glad you had everything backed up, though.

I haven't had anything happen lately (knock on wood)... last time I had the motherboard in my main PC conk out, it was my fault (got a stick of RAM in halfway, one side didn't click in, and I didn't feel it, was working in the dark)... that was a few years ago, ended up on a 1 GHz Thunderbird until the board came back from EPoX.

Is your board still under warranty? Worth RMAing, if it is.
    Yeah when I reset the CMOS I got the BIOS screen for one startup, but it couldnt read my hard drives since they used to be in RAID and now they weren't. So I turned it off, put in another hard drive with an OS already installed and it wouldnt turn on again.

And unfortunately, it only had a one year warranty, so I can't do that.

Thanks for the help,
    Indybird

I've seen the same thing... when a USB hub was plugged in. And a keyboard. Etc. Make sure you strip it down. Nothing plugged in. No expansion cards, etc.

Just unplugging and holding the power button down can sometimes jump any electronic device back to life it seems.

My computer sometimes does something like this, fans are on but "nobody's home". I end up having to press the power button until it turns off and then press the power button again. I've never had catastrophic failure of a computer since my old Pentium 100Mhz flaked out due to a bad IDE cable back in the 90's. I've had a secondary drive die on me twice, a stick of ram go bad, and a flakey motherboard, but nothing that kept my system down. Guess I've been lucky, though when things break it's an excuse to upgrade, which I guess is why I still play games like Crysis on a 3.0Ghz P4 and 6600GT.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I picked up a rig from a friend, press the power button and the fans spin for a sec then everything shuts off. no beeps, pwr and hdd lights come on for a sec, then go off. have to unplug and shut off PSU, plug back in and turn on to get it to do it again

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Both my main and backup motherboards just died within the past few days... bad luck for me. Good thing I got this Eee when I did!

Maybe the other boards were a bit mad when I pulled this outa the box.

-CollinstheClown

My mate just had this problem with a newish rig, turns out it wasnt his mobo that was the problem, but one of his sticks of ram. have you tried with only one ram stick... if that doesnt work, with another etc...?

From what you said it looks like you prolly will have but thats how i got his running in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by leveup View Post
    I have the same problem and now it has been sorted!
    how did you accomplish that?

-Indybird

Quote Originally Posted by leveup View Post
    I have the same problem and now it has been sorted!
    could we know how by any chance, it will help meny people now and in the forseable future

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!