Thread: Vertical dvd drives

ATX Mental Case

Default Vertical dvd drives

Looking to put a dvd drive in the top of a wall mounted pc/touch screen, can you get vertical dvd drives ? So the disc is verical ? I tried using a normal dvd drive but had trouble with the disc sometimes falling out of the holder.

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Re: Vertical dvd drives

Thats weird that it fell out because nearly all modern DVD drives are made so that the disc rests in the tray when the drive is sideways. If yours doesn't have the lip that keeps the disc in place, then just about any modern drive that you can buy will have it.

Hope that helps,
    Indybird

ATX Mental Case

Hi wanted it so the drive is mounted, so it comes out of the top of the cabinet, so that its stood up on end. So if you were looking at the cabinet it would come out of the top and you would see the full disc looking at you ? Does that make sense ?

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Yeah it should work like that. This case right here uses the disc drive the same way you want to.

-Indybird

ATX Mental Case

Hi thanks thats the way was either going to make it come out of the top or the bottom like the picture..

Some of the slimline laptop drives are made so you have to snap the discs onto it. It will stay in the tray even if it is hung upside down.

Or you could get a slot loader drive, like what is on the PS3.

Anodized

there are tabs on the tray that stop the disc from falling out, those drives are just normal ones that are mounted vertical, you could probably find a creative way around the disc slipping.